Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Christmas gift to yourself >

Your Christmas gift to yourself

Your Christmas gift to yourself

Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 PM

For months I've been telling hubby that there is nothing I want for Christmas. He keeps asking and I keep saying I have everything I ever wanted. Well........................a dear friend called a few days ago and asked if I knew anyone who would like to buy her Featherweight. She bought the machine brand new decades ago (right after highschool) and I even helped her get it sewing once. "YES!" That is what I want for Christmas! A great little machine to add to my collection that belonged to a great friend. What better present could I ask for?
Old 12-24-2015, 08:36 PM

My Christmas present AND 65th birthday present to myself is a quilting cruise with Jenny Doan and Lynne Hagmeier, in about 3 Weeks. I'm going with my 2 sisters, and 2 other friends. Can't wait!
Old 12-25-2015, 03:29 AM

I got my Christmas present in July--a new, state-of the arts Elna combo sewing/embroidery machine. I love it and my DH and I agreed that it was my present for the year...
Old 12-25-2015, 06:50 AM

I bought me the new Brother Scan and Cut 2, haven't had time to try it out yet but am looking forward to it.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:54 AM

The Steam-fast mini iron. I don't like spritzing. I get big water spots with any spray bottle. If I need to spritz while ironing I use the spray on the iron. I've tried to relax fold marks in fabric with that spray that everyone likes and got big areas of wet. I have the bottle filled with white vinegar and filtered water.

I've had a few irons for Quilt in the Hoop, and they don't press seams flat enough. For big items, I will use the main ironing board, but I have an add-on ironing table on the SewEzi, and if you are playing with mini strips on 5 inch blocks getting up since those go so fast can be a pain.

I had to move the ironing board to get room for the Accuquilt.

Got a few more templates for FMQ. Am drawing on fabric rather than the machine until I feel more secure in what I'm doing on the Juki. But using the templates sure makes adjustments easy when the standard sizing is a bit off due to sewing glitches that can happen when using a stencil.

I'm starting to see that pressing is causing a few of my problems, along with small rulers for trimming at the machine.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
We are having crock-pot lasagna that day so I can spend the day in my sewing room. (Otherwise we do not celebrate that holiday.)
Sounds good, do you have a receipt?
Old 12-25-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I got a mani
Old 12-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
This year we bought ourselves a couple of cool things that I can't wait to open and start using: On the big black Friday sale (which I usually don't do but I wanted this so had to go) we got a new printer that will be great for running fabric through. I've always wanted to have that capability so I'm excited about it.

And the Power Pressure Cooker XL that you see on the the infomercials. Got one for us and for each of the kids. We tried it when my daughter was here last weekend and it's going to change my life after I figure it out. It's an electric pressure cooker that cooks in a flash - even from frozen, is a slow cooker and a rice cooker, can be used for canning and even baking bread. It has a delayed start so I can fill it up and start it later so dinner will be ready when I get home from work. I'm so excited about this! Hopefully it means less time cooking and more time sewing.

And just for me I got myself the coolest little fleece lined "yoga" jacket. I don't do yoga anymore although I want to when I have more time, but to grab for going off to the gym or just around the house it will be great. I can't wait to pull that out of the closet where it is waiting for me until after Christmas.

By the way, I loved the pajama story. I used to get new pajamas every year as a child too. It was the one present we were allowed to open on Christmas Eve night and I used to do that with my kids too after our traditional Christmas Eve pizza outing. I miss those times. So yay to new jammies. Merry Christmas everyone (or whatever you celebrate). Enjoy!
I also got my two children and me a pressure cooker (Elite 8 qt electric ) which sounds much like yours. I have tried it out and love it. Cooked 8 lbs of chicken breast in 22 minutes and just fall apart tender! Did 5 lbs of potatoes for mashed potatoes and daughter said they were the best ever. It will save loads of time which means more time to sew!!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:19 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Santa is bringing me a range on Dec 30th, since the old one died in the middle of making Christmas Eve dinner yesterday. The Christmas turkey will be delayed. And tomorrow, as am going to go get a bed--goodbye, air bed!
Old 12-25-2015, 02:36 PM

I made crockpot layered enchiladas. I don't have a true crockpot, I have a multicooker which does everything in the same pot. Got that last Xmas and used once a week all year.