Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix >

AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

Old 12-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Default AccuQuilt vs. Sizzix

Does anyone have the Sizzix cutting machines?

I am curious how/if they are comparable to AccuQuilt.

I am not an appliquer and I can't see myself becoming one. What I would like a cutting machine for is:

1. One Block Wonder repeats (equilateral triangles through 6 layers of fabric at the same time)

2. Other cutting of strips and triangles.

As you can see, I don't do a lot of fancy cutting e.g. curved pieces

What size of machine should I buy?

I have read in more than one place that AccuQuilt will no longer be sold through distributors and therefore I would be paying US dollars and buying from AccuQuilt US (I'm Canadian and our dollar sucks!)

The reason I am so interested in these types of machines is that I suck at cutting. No matter how hard I try to be accurate.

I sincerely appreciate everybody's thoughts.

Lynda
Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 AM

I have both GO and Big Shot......the GO has more choices of dies, but also more expensive. The big shot (Sizzix) can cut x8 layers, but I don't push either to their max...I usually keep max at 4 layers for both. I like both machines...have way more GO dies...but as far as generic geometric shapes.....cheaper at Sizzix...if it's the size you want....BUT...now I notice even Sizzix prices are going up a bit. You also have to order direct from Sizzix....at least I do...there was a short time that Hobby lobby carried but no more....
Old 12-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

If you decide on the Accuquilt Go!, I would recommend getting their newer electric version. I have the hand crank and, while I appreciate having it, I would prefer not to have to crank over and over again.

Edit: Sometimes used Go!s show up on yahoo groups (especially the hand crank Go!, as some people upgrade to the electric version). You might want to join the sewitsforsale group and the accucutquilters at groups.yahoo.com and either watch for ads or post an ISO (in search of) ad for the cutter you want.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-25-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:55 PM

I have the Sizzix Big Shot Pro (which is their largest hand cranked machine) and I use Accuquilt dies with it. You can use just about anyone's dies with the Big Shot Pro that you want. It is larger than the Accuquilt Go machines, more comparable to the largest machine that Accuquilt makes.

I've cut at least 10 layers of fabric at a time (maybe more) with my Big Shot Pro using Accuquilt dies. You can also buy Sizzix dies on Amazon.com and also directly from Sizzix/Ellison. I love my Big Shot Pro. There is a metal housing over top of the roller which allows you to use your non-cranking hand to hold on to the machine for leverage when cranking really thick layers through and that means less time spent cranking/cutting since you are cutting more pieces at a time.

I use mine for cutting small squares, half square triangles, etc. when I'm doing a quilt that requires lots of them. It really does save time.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-25-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: posted before finished thought
Old 12-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I have the Go and the Go Big. I use them both. I am the type that wants the right tool for the job, no matter if I use just once. I don't think the die machine makes that much difference, it's the dies that are important.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:33 PM

I have both the Big Kick (original Big Shot) and the Go. The Sizzix works perfectly well. I'd used the Big Kick for card making for years. I only switched as Sizzix dropped a strip die I needed and didn't have quarter square triangles. The Go does. I can't say about the cutting pads, the Sizzix has hard acrylic and the Go has a softer flexible material. I was using the cutting mats I had for cardmaking. They looked terrible but still worked. They must have been over 10 years old.

I mostly have squares and triangles, plus the machine and all the mats. Worked well. They were mostly 11/2 and 2 1/2, and 4 1/2 inch blocks and HSTs.

PM me if interested about more info. I need to find another home for it.

I have a Silhouette Cameo if I want to do applique. I tend to draw my own rather than use what's available.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 AM

I used to have the GO! but now have the Big Shot Pro. I love this machine! Its easier to turn and sturdier than the GO!. Its more in line with the Accuquilt Studio. I can use both Sizzix and Accuqiult dies. It will also take the Studio dies. I really like that you can cut more layers at a time with this machine than with the GO! The Sizzix dies feel sturdier and stronger than the GO!. Best of all, its way cheaper and the Sizzix dies are also cheaper. BTW, Scrapbook.com carries Sizzix dies and has frequent sales on them. The best place I've seen to buy the Big Shot Pro is Overstock.com. as they carry a "package" that includes all the extra long cutting pads you need to utilize the larger dies, this is the package aimed at quilting, rather than paper and craft cutting (although you can use it for both).

Hope this helps!

Solomae
Old 12-26-2015, 09:59 AM

I can use the Studio dies in my Big Shot Pro, which is a big plus if you are cutting a lot of the same shape. They cut more layers and are much sturdier, as they have a larger wooden base and a rubber surround instead of the foam. I use my BSP and GO, but I tend to use the BSP a lot more. I have the extended tray for the BSP, so I can use the longer strip dies quite easily. It turns a lot easier that the GO, too. Of course, if you get the new electric GO, you don't have to worry about cranking the die through, the machine does it for you.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I have the Big Shot Pro by Sizzix since I can use the Sizzix dies in it, the Go dies and the Studio dies by Accuquilt. The only dies that will not work are the over sized dies by Accuquilt. I also prefer the Sizzix dies over the Accuquilt dies for many reasons.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Be sure to check on eBay for any bargains.