Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Back Up Sewing Machine! >

New Back Up Sewing Machine!

New Back Up Sewing Machine!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
On this note with buying a sewing machine at Walmart, are there any at our U.S. stores I should stay away from? I'm wanting a small machine to place at one end of my cutting table just to add the binding to the quilt. My machines are located at a corner of my room so there's a wall at the back of each of them which makes it a bit difficult to add the binding. Its not impossible but would love to be able to lay the quilt out without having to roll it up to shove it under the machine. I use my old trusty Viking D1 for my piecing these days as it has the auto thread cutter and auto up/down and needle down. Would still like to find a machine that has at least the auto needle up/down if possible.

Thanks all.
I have the second price level up, Walmart "Brother" machine. It has no bells and whistles, just does 30-35 different stitches. It is the 5130 model with burgundy trim. I have been using it for about 12 years, and have even abused it by packing it, in a big papertowel box with my clothes and bedding, under a Greyhound bus from northern Washington State, to southern Texas. Those baggage handlers were real clumsy gorillas, and it arrived in perfect shape. I brought it home the same way. That is one tough durable machine! I paid less than$150 for it. It has never been in for service. It was such a workhorse, that when I got the opportunity to purchase a nice expensive quilting machine, I bought another Brother! If that doesn't convince you of the value, nothing will. My big pretty quilting machine is the "Brother NX 650Q. No regrets on that purchase either. Sewing machine service centers don't make a dime from me. Just keep it clean and oil if required, (Older one yes, newer one no oil), and make sure your thread is right for the fabric and needle. Happy hunting!
Old 12-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
That's funny ---------brother on a shelf. Didn't they have Munch on a shelf too?
They have "Mench on a Bench" . It's Jewish for Hannekah