Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Comic boards vs. stacking >

Comic boards vs. stacking

Comic boards vs. stacking

Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 AM

I store my fabric on comic boards. Instead of rolling my fabric from on the short side, I roll mine on the long side (end to end). I decided to store my fabric this way because I have five 18" deep x 48" wide x 84" tall shelving units that I set up where I can get to both sides of the shelves. Since the shelves are 18" deep, I can place fabric/boards on both sides of the racks. I purchased one extra shelf unit in order to get the extra racks (it was cheaper to purchase an entire unit than to purchase individual racks). Instead of having 5 racks to a unit, I have 6 racks to a unit. By turning my comic boards on their sides, I can store more fabric per unit. Yeah I know - I have a lot of fabric...
Old 12-29-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by KittyD View Post
Maybe a stupid question but what are comic boards?
I purchase mine on EBAY. In fact I just ordered more this morning. The EBAY number is ( 361257253722 ) 100 for $15.93 no tax and free shipping. I have been buying them there for about a year. They are better than regular cardboard or core board because they are thinner yet stiff. They are 8 1/2 x 11 and I cut many in half so they measure 4 1/4 x 11. I use those for less than 2 yards. 2 to 3 yds. go on the 8 1/2 x 11 and I use quilt shop boards for more yardage than that. I fold the fabric selvedge to selvedge and then once more, and it just fits the boards. Some I stand on a bookcase shelf but the majority are stood on edge in plastic containers and I can see exactly what is there without disturbing it. I found that plain old bobby pins from the Dollar Tree work best for securing the fabric. I have a huge stash and it takes forever when you start, but its well worth the time and money. I now wrap my fabrics as soon as I get them so they won't get out of control again! I have them separated like someone else here said, by Christmas / holidays, some by colors, some like 30's prints, Civil War, and fruits and vege prints, etc.

Last edited by Just Jan; 12-29-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
No, using boards does not save space. It takes up more because of the thickness of each board. The main advantage is the neatness factor. I have yardage wrapped in dollar store foam board cut to 9x12", but it's not helpful for smaller pieces. I found that folding fabric into about 5 inch squares and filing them front to back in dollar store shoeboxes, by color, then set into a dresser, works for me.

The fabric stays tidy for the most part(unless I get lazy after auditioning a bunch and then stuffing it back in). I have tried hanging yardage on skirt hangers also. That works if it's not too thick/heavy. But usually I resort to dressers to keep things neat and not ready to Avalanche on me.
Thanks, zozee. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I really like the neatness of the comic boards but I better try refolding with a ruler first.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM

I put mine on comic boards and I got three times the amount of fabric in my cupboard that I previously had. Its so easy to pull out check a color then slide back in. If you use the foam boards instead it does take more room. The comic boards are just heavy card stock so not very thick at all. my shelves were stuffed with ruler folded fabric but after I put it on the boards I was able to unload another two 17 gal tubs of fabric and put that on boards and put that in.
My sister who has been quilting for 35 years after browsing my shelves has asked me to help her put her shelves of fabric onto the boards as she is tired of shifting the stacks to find what she wants. It can be a personal choice and your shelves can make a difference. Mine are just the right depth and shelf height to fit the fabric on the boards. I love mine but use what works for you I bought 100 to start and now am up to almost 500 fabrics on boards and still working.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 PM

I use the cardboard that fabric is wrapped on in the store. Cut it to any size you want and wrap your fabric. Joanns is always very happy to just give them to me.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM

I went from folded to comic boards. I like the comic boards for being able to see my fabric, but I could not stack them as high as I could with the folded. That being said, I still prefer the comic boards!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 AM

I keep my fabrics wrapped in recycled cardboards (comic boards style), they look so neat and handy. I will never go back... no more stacking for me!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 AM

Glad you started this riverandwoods! I just got 3 packs from Walmart and I'm hoping to start organizing myself. I appreciate everyone's input!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM

Be careful with cardboard. Many varieties of bugs like to inhabit them.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I didn't put all my fabric on the boards all at once. I did it as I had time. Sometimes I would do it at my kitchen table while watching tv. Or if I had to watch a tutorial, I brought it into my office and folded it. An inch or two above them, I just put any in that color scheme or texture scheme horizontally. Doesn't take that much to move to the side.