Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Yet another Rare machine destroyed by poor packaging.... >

Yet another Rare machine destroyed by poor packaging....

Yet another Rare machine destroyed by poor packaging....

Old 12-29-2015, 10:54 AM

Pooor Cinderella!! She is such a cute machine!! If only the seller paid attention to your info and had "tried" harder to ensure that she wouldn't get tossed about during her journey to you!! It is so disheartening to have these results!! Some just don't get it that these machines are heavy and that shippers are unreliable!

I'm glad that you were refunded and that your friend is giving you another to play with.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:24 AM

The last one I purchased on eBay was so well wrapped, I thought I would never get to the machine. Years ago I did purchase a lovely very old White, when it arrived the wood stand it was in was in splinters and one of the cast legs on the underside was broken off -- I felt lucky the machine had so little damage. I could even use the broken wood stand as a pattern to make a replacement one. Most machines I have purchased on eBay have been wrapped very well and arrived undamaged. I have been very fortunate indeed.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:13 PM

So sorry, as all of the above...we all look forward to you "finds" and so glad that you have had your wish met by a friend. This Cinderella machine turned out to be a fail. Let us know when you sew on the replacement.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 AM

I went through that years ago. The person that packed that DOES NOT HAVE A THOUGHT PROCESS. I had someone take a beautiful Singer 99 and pack....wrong word...should be toss it into an oversized light weight box without any packing material at all. I don't think it had 2 pieces that were still together.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned

Well, I'm risking it again.... I just purchased an early 1860's Handcrank that is is Paris France... This should be fun.

I have had several email discussions with the seller regarding the dangers and proper packing processes.
The seller already broke the handle screw while trying to remove it(dropped the price in 1/2), so I am hoping the "pre-ship" break will be all that occurs to this rare beauty
Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Here's hoping all the bad luck happened to the Cinderella
Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM

I've run into the same with typewriters, I just don't do long distance anymore. One trick I've learned is to wrap a machine in Saran wrap, then block in place with styrofoam and fill voids with spray foam insulation. Quick, easy, but sometimes a pain to un-wrap; but usually no damage to the item. Also a triple wall shipping box like the heavy duty ones from Home Depot can take the weight better. Any chance of brazing the cast pieces? I've occasionally fixed things that way but only works on brass, copper, or iron based metals.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
... Any chance of brazing the cast pieces? I've occasionally fixed things that way but only works on brass, copper, or iron based metals.
Unfortunately the frame that broke is cast "pot metal" low grade material. I May be able to braze it, but may not be worth the efforts. Thanks for the thought though
Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 PM

Pot metal is a no-go. It "disappears" under a flame. BTDT Good luck on your Paris find !!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Banned

I have been able to solder pot metal before but it is SUCH a pain in the tookus...