Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are baby quilts still in fashi >

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Are baby quilts still in fashi

Old 12-30-2015, 10:05 AM

My "baby quilts" are usually larger thant he normal size, more the size of a lap quilt so they will be able to use it more as they grow older. And yes, they seem to grow so fast these days.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
It's not the quilts that are unsafe. It's recommended that nothing=no toys blankets etc be in the crib with baby. It reduces the risk of SIDS. Babies wear sleep sacks instead of being covered with blankets as we did with ours. Some people have taken this to mean "NOquilts"at all. Quilts have many uses besides covering a baby in bed as you can see in responses. And babies don't stay tiny forever. At some point they will use a covering to sleep under.
Oh, well I guess we are never too old to learn something new. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I am still making baby quilts, in fact, I need to make 2 for a set of boy/girl twins to be born in March, unless they come early. I make them about 45" x 65", which is probably bigger than a crib, haven't seen one for a while, as my DGD is 5 years old now; but I find that size is great to put the baby down on the floor, wrap them up in it, etc., etc. We may not be having any more grandchildren, and I love to quilt, so I think I'll be making baby quilts and giving them away for some time. Besides the quilts for the twins, I have one top ready to quilt for my DIL's brother and wife, plus another one for a special friend's daughter who just had a little girl in Sept. I'm so glad I'm out of rehab now after taking some spectacular falls in Aug. and early Oct., plus shoulder replacement in May; that I'm ready to get my sewing machine busy for some time. There's still the Boston Commons quilt I want to make for me, someday, oh well, my quilts are at the bottom of the Roundtoit List. I'd say go for it and make that baby a quilt to remember you by.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 PM

I give them to family as a keepsake. They can use them or not. That is their choice.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You could make one for when she is placed on the floor. We still make them for charity.
I make a quilt that is 52x80 - and for little ones, I like to make the I Spy Quilt - 15 - 12" blocks with a 2-1/2" sash and 4" border. They can be used on the floor, on the couch, curled up in a chair, in the car and also on a youth bed or twin sized bed. Pick 15 different blocks with a square in the center for the I Spy square. Kids love them. And I use the blocks from Quilter's Cache. Relatively easy to do and turn out really sweet - pick your colors and then use those colors for different blocks - and you also end up with a sampler!!!!! Good luck to you. Happy New Year. Edie
Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 AM

My neice has 3 children under 4 and I made them each a quilt when they were born, but not baby sized. The quilts I made would be considered lap/throw quilts and were made in toddler designs. They love their quilts now as toddlers and take them out to watch football games with their dad! Canada - Rider Pride
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM

I have a few car seat blankets to make for my nephew. hes about 6 months now. I just take a fq and some minky type fabric and use that. they are great and i used them for my last baby whos 15 months now. i still have them in the car for her convertible car seat. I worry too much about her suffocating with a regular size quilt in the car. But i know many who use small blankets in the car because they are not supposed to use jackets with the seat belts. I have always wrapped my babys up with a blanket even when they are in a regular bed. I have three baby quilts that I use for my baby and have used them since she was born. its a personal preference.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM

Oh yes! In our family each pair of parents makes sure I will make a quilt for their coming baby. The newest baby is 6 months old now; his quilt is treasured by his parents!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:58 AM

A cloth quilt the size of a playpen floor is also useful, and nicer for the baby than just the plastic.
Has anyone ever heard of a baby actually being injured or suffocated by a quilt, or is this just another urban legend, or liability insurance CYA?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:15 AM

I've made all my grandchildren quilts as baby gifts. They were used extensively on the floor for tummy time.