Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Merry Mayhem's New Year's Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem's New Year's Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem's New Year's Day Mystery

Old 12-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Has anyone done the cutting for this Mystery quilt case #139? I'm doing the nap size in scrappy and I think there is something missing in the cutting instructions for the medium fabrics and the Accent border. I'm going to go to the website to see if I can get an answer quickly. I already put away all the leftover fabric so I think I'll have to dig out all the medium fabrics again. I'll post what I find out - if anything.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM

I looked on her Facebook page and others have questioned it too. But she assures them the directions are correct - that the scrappy version looks totally different than the controlled version. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. New Year's Day is only a day and a half away.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM

I have new fabric picked out and I'm going to start my cutting this evening while watching movies. I'm doing the nap quilt, too. I figure another border or two and it will fit a twin size bed. On New Year's Day, you can check Merry May's facebook page and see comments made by others who are doing this mystery.

https://www.facebook.com/MerryMayhemsMysteryQuilts/

Someone commented about the medium fabrics and MM responded that the cutting directions for the medium fabric are correct and will give you what you need. One thing I know from doing her mysteries in the past, the title always relates to the pattern after you have it made up.

ETA: Whoops, looks like I was typing while you were posting! The facebook group is a real help if there's a problem.

Last edited by IrishKaren; 12-30-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM

I got an e-mail from Merry May. She said trust her - it will be fine. So I will - tomorrow I'll be ready.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM

I'm going to try and do this but maybe not tomorrow. Depends on how tired I am after tonight. I will be up way after my bedtime.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:04 PM

IrishKaren - Thanks for sharing This is my first time to the MerryMayhem site . . . I've downloaded the 2 clues posted to try out a little latter.

Happy New Year to All!! Stay safe in your travels . . .
Old 12-31-2015, 07:43 PM

Just curious, how many are doing the "controlled" version and how any the "scrappy"? Mine is scrappy. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a good sized box of fabric scraps from her mother who is cleaning out some left overs from her sewing and quilt making. I've decided to use those scraps and make the larger size for my friend and tell her, "I'm coming over the bring you something I found in that box of fabric scraps from your mother." Can't wait to see her face when I hand her the finished quilt.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:06 PM

Glad you're joining in KLT. Last year I started mine for New Year's Day but got behind because I hadn't done my HSTs ahead of time. It was a week or so before I finally finished the top - still haven't quilted it though. Looks like I'll be doing the same thing this year. I didn't get my fabric cut last night, ended up going to my daughters for an early New Year's dinner. We don't get out for the actual event. I did all my cutting this evening and I'm going to try to stay up to get most of my lines marked and sew the HSTs in the morning.

Martha, I'm doing the controlled version. I'm going to try to make a big dent in my stash this year so I dug through and found some fabrics that I had a couple of yards each to use. I always use my oldest fabrics for these mysteries. It's always a thrill to have someone gift you with a box of fabric. Your friend is going to love getting a quilt.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:52 PM

I got through step 5 (of 7) before my back gave out. I really like th blocks but did need a couple hours yesterday to do all the cutting and HST construction. Hope to finish the top tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Merry several years ago at Gilda's Club. She was a volunteer who taught quilting to those touched by cancer. Those classes changed my life & made me addicted to fabric & quilting. In 3 years I have made over 150 simple quilts for hospice & CHOPS (Children's Hospital of Philly).