Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilts made from our stash >
  • Quilts made from our stash

• Quilts made from our stash

Old 01-01-2016, 09:55 AM

Anyone who has made a scrappy quilt knows the work and planning that often goes into them. The are (if anything) more valued because they have used all your bits and pieces allowing you to start rebuilding the scraps pile (ha, ha). I also find that when I am making something using these bits and pieces I often remember things happening when I first used that fabric or the person I gave it to. I usually keep my scrap quilts because they are so full of memories.
    Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Absolutely agree! Those "scrappy" quilts take So much more time too!
    Old 01-01-2016, 10:32 AM

I buy fabric to make scrappy quilts! Is that silly or what? Nowadays, I think Scrappy refers to the look of the quilt, not necessarily if it's made of leftover fabric.
    Old 01-01-2016, 02:53 PM

This is not a scrappy, but it was made from my stash. It's actually a Geology class final. The prof was tired of the same old essays and said to do something original. So my daughter decided to make a quilted wall hanging of the ages of parts of North America. It's appliqued, and she satin stitched it all down. The white area is just to show NA now. It wasn't there when the provinces were. The school kept it
    .[ATTACH=CONFIG]539196[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shans quiltsmall.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	539196  
    Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Great project. How old was she when she made this? I'm very impressed by this with the legend and all. Nice job!

And although it is not "scrappy" per se if she used your stash she can consider it scrappy if she wants to. I think there is more skill using fabric as an art form than coming up with the perfect "color" or "brush stroke." It is not easy to take a fabric with all it's colors and various textures and make it play nice with another dozen or hundred different fabrics all in the same place at the same time. We quilters often baffle other artists with that ability and the fact that a quilt can take longer to produce than a baby (especially if it is hand quilted). We need to be proud of our art. And like others have said the scrappier the better. So scrap sisters unite and be proud.
    Old 01-01-2016, 05:22 PM
    Power Poster

Scraps cost as much as the fabric piece they came from. I love scrappy quilts and mostly make them. They are as warm as matchy matchy quilts. I will continue to call them scrappy.
    Old 01-02-2016, 03:50 AM

Call them "stash quilts". Just as good as store bought. And a whole lot cheaper!
    Old 01-02-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy
    Great project. How old was she when she made this? I'm very impressed by this with the legend and all. Nice job!

And although it is not "scrappy" per se if she used your stash she can consider it scrappy if she wants to. I think there is more skill using fabric as an art form than coming up with the perfect "color" or "brush stroke." It is not easy to take a fabric with all it's colors and various textures and make it play nice with another dozen or hundred different fabrics all in the same place at the same time. We quilters often baffle other artists with that ability and the fact that a quilt can take longer to produce than a baby (especially if it is hand quilted). We need to be proud of our art. And like others have said the scrappier the better. So scrap sisters unite and be proud.
    She was in college. She and her husband were living with us at the time.
    We printed the legends on printable fabric in an inkjet. She appliqued those on, too.
    What got me - this is a kid who can't sew on a button!
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:32 AM

If you look up scraps in the dictionary you get many descriptions, Scrappy Quilts are usually beautiful & it shows no WASTE of fabric, the first quilts made by hand in the pilgrim days were scraps. Lets enjoy the scrappy quilts.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 AM

I love scrap quilts and do not see that as a derogatory term. I have no interest in buying kits to make quilts that someone else designed. No creativity there! I would find no pleasure in going into the LQS and spending several hundred dollars buying a line all designed by someone else, then worrying to the end of the project if I was going to run out of fabric to finish up the quilt (and wondering if the LQS has any yardage left by then). I enjoy the challenge of making what I have on hand with the addition of a few purchased yards into something beautiful. Heck, I mostly love what I have on hand or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.