Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making BIG IRONING BOARD - batting, insulbrite, or both? >

Making BIG IRONING BOARD - batting, insulbrite, or both?

Making BIG IRONING BOARD - batting, insulbrite, or both?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by Denise S View Post
I have searched and read a lot on the board concerning this topic. There is a variety of fabrics people have used. My question is this....what is the advantage to using insulbrite as opposed to just W&N batting for the pressing surface?

I am going to use either 2 layers of W&N batting, 1 layer canvas on top.... or 1 layer of insulbrite, 1 layer of W&N, 1 layer of canvas on top.

Insulbrite or no insulbrite? What makes it better? Or maybe there really isn't a big difference?
Not speaking with any authority -- but knowing the properties of Insulbrite it would seem that the mylar coating, which you would place up toward the heat, would reflect the heat and steam back up and give some protection to your wooden board from becoming warped or damaged from the steam. A lot of people have used Insulbrite with the shiny side up, and with a layer of other batting like W&N on top of it with good results.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:03 PM

I am thinking about turning my utility table (plastic top) into an ironing table. I'm thinking if I made the cover removable and using W & N cotton batting (crib size) and a heavy fabric, it should be ok. Fixing to do my first large quilt where I will need a bigger ironing surface for convenience. I have only done a King size Cathedral Window, so my standard size was fine at that point. I am just trying to determine method of securing to table.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:11 PM

I made mine like Sharon Schamber's tutorial on Youtube...just bigger.
I wouldn't put aluminium foil on the wood because it would make everything slide.
When you press you want your blocks to stay put. JMHO.
I prefer canvas to insulbrite. Canvas has more grip than insulbrite.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:11 AM

I have one made with a dense batting type material and canvas over plywood. Kay one of the owners at the local quilt shop use to make drapes and recommended it. Love it!!!
It costs a little more to make, but it lasts for years.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:00 AM

Mine is plywood, covered with poly batting, and a canvas cover that I staple on. When doing starching (best press), I iron freezer paper down first. That saves the cover. The freezer paper is easier to replace and the cover lasts longer.