Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 AM

I'm in this year also. I have five quilts I need to get done. First one needs to be done by January 15. Next one needs to be done by February 21. I need a new summer quilt. My last one is just one I want to do. I'm doing one for a quilt guild challenge. How do we get into all this mess.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I just might consider joining this challenge as I have 4 baby quilts to start and or finish, two are for boy and girl twins that are due in March, but might come earlier; one completed top to sandwich and quilt, and another baby quilt for a dear friend's daughter who had a little girl last Sept.; so I just might need this incentive to complete some of my projects. Oh, by the way, those 4 baby quilts I'd like to finish in Jan., early Feb., as I have been asked to make a king sized quilt for our DS and DDIL, a quilt to be made from one SIL's embroidered blocks (haven't figured out how I want to do that as yet because the embroidered fabric is very thin, might want to put another white fabric in back, or use fusible interfacing before starting to put them together); then there is the Boston Commons quilt for ME, that I started to collect batik fabrics for about 8 years ago, but haven't started, although I think I have enough batiks to make the top, and the list goes on. I have a headache. LOL. Good luck. I just might join, to give me incentive to start and finish those quilts. Wish me luck.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

OK, I am in. I have a lot of charity quilts to either quilt or have a friend quilt them. Mostly I just need to sew the backing and cut the batting which I bought for myself for Xmas a roll of Hobbs batting.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM

I will join in I have 5 that have been started and not finished that I can think of, and I may find more as I get started and get more organized. And two I planned to do in 2015 and haven't started. Time to climb out of my slump and get going on the ufos so I can jump into all the other projects I want to do too, that have been gathering cobwebs in my head because I wanted to get the others finished before starting more.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM

I'm in again! I was cleaning my sewing area and made a list of my UFO's. Some are in the very early stage of having pieces cut for them, partially sewn, etc, to needing binding. I didn't prioritize but I think that would be a good idea.

One of my UFO's is from a HST Challenge last year and the gal running the challenge wished her quilt had been bigger. She added wider borders but decided to run another challenge this year and will offer 2 blocks a week for 25(?) weeks. The best part is that one block each week will be the same as last year so I have 1/2 of the blocks made already! Yeah! Plus I have enough material to make the other blocks with the exception of my background fabric which I may be 1/2 yard short. So I am hopeful that I will have a new quilt on my bed by the end of summer!

I am also between 5 and 25 but barely. Lol! I have 24 but 10 of those are baby quilt tops and I may need to enlarge some and then add batting and backing, pillow turn, top stitch, and hand off to someone to tie.

My main order of business is to finish my son and his fiancee's quilt which is not in this number since I just recently started it. I will work on UFO's as a diversion.

I know I will start other projects too.

I also want to try and finish some UFO's with the quilt-as-you-go technique and have them available for fundraisers.

Happy New Year!

Connie

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-01-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM

I'd like to join! I haven't done a tally, but I suspect between 10 and 25 projects and quilts. One finish a month would be a great start, allowing me to start something new in between finishes.

Happy Quilting, all!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Count me in. This might be the way to spur me on to the Finish Line. One problem I have is joining the SWAP groups here on Quilting Board, and thus I have an accumulation of Halloween Blocks and Witchy Sue blocks, as well as Autumn Leaf. And there's my Christmas Showcase quilt made of 5 inch squares... and a green quilt for my friend Diane. If I could accomplish five? That would be wonderful.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I'm in again, finished 5 last year but have added 3 more. At least it's going the right direction.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:39 PM

I'm in...I have a room full of fabric and some patterns, so there must be SOME UFO's! haha My goal is to not purchase items, but to use what I have already purchased. I can buy items to finish what gets started. Right now I have a baby blanket to complete and a few others to start. My two nephews wives are prego, so it would be nice to make them a little something for the new babies.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:10 PM

I'm going to try to get back in this year. Last year life just got away from me. I did finish a UFO in December. It was a modified sampler using random orphan blocks plus leftover sections of borders bindings, etc.

I'm already working on another UFO, this is one my son started but got overwhelmed so I am finishing it for him. It's pretty complicated and he has never made a quilt before so I understand him giving up on it. LOL I have another one to finish, I'll work on it when I need a break from my son's quilt.
These are by no means all my UFO's, these are just the ones I am having at first. And of course always have to make time for the comfort quilts as need requires.
Look forward to seeing all your finishes again in 2016!!