Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a quilt binding tool >

Is there a quilt binding tool

Is there a quilt binding tool

Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Default Is there a quilt binding tool

OK - I have to admit that I'm looking for an easier way to put on binding than by sewing it down by hand. So I'm asking the group. I realize that there is a Bernina foot- but I have a Brother sewing machine. I'm looking for something that will put the binding on the front and back at the same time. Do they make such a thing? I normally start with binding that is 2 1/2" wide folded in half to 1 1/4" then sewed down with a wide 1/4" seam and folded and hand stitched to the back.
Just looking for an easier way.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

If I want a completely machine sewn binding, I use Charismah's tutorial on QB. It is sewn to the back, flipped to the front and if you use a thread that matches for top stitching against the flange, a real nice touch. If you type in Machine binding with Flange in the search box, it should come up.
There is another thread that had a link to machine sewing binding with the buttonhole stitch but I can't remember the title of that thread.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Several years ago, I took a class that demonstrated a Bernina binding foot. It folded the fabric around the raw edge and sewed it down, front and back, all in one fell swoop. The problem is, it wouldn't work for the corners of a quilt at all.

I think your best bet is to machine sew both sides separately. There are many tutorials, both video and pictorial, that can instruct you.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:01 PM

Thanks for sharing this method. I hate sewing the binding on by hand. What a real time saver that looks awesome when completed.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

As Tartan stated, the flange binding allows you to hide your stitching in the ditch of the flange so it will look much nicer. I and my friends have found the McCall's direction to work well. Video is included in the directions.
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/blogs...ng-by-machine/
When sewing thru all that bulk. I believe it is impossible to get the stitching to be perfectly straight.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:04 AM

I did see a you tube on final sewing onto front using a 9mm flat felled foot......Bernina...but I called Viking dealer and yes had one for my oldie Viking, so I bought it...will try on next binding I do. But, I'm sorry, I don't remember the you tube...
Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 AM

here is the video that Geri B is talking about I think
http://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/hap...nding-edition/
Old 01-02-2016, 07:36 AM

Yes, they do!! I have a Brother machine as well and DH just got me a Martelli Seam Guide & Stitch-N-Ditch Binding foot from nancysnotions.com.. It works great and I love it!!! It's so fast & easy to use!!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM

I use the Martelli system as well. It works great on quilt sized objects and has saved me a ton of work over the years. The last quilt I bound was oversized double and using the Martelli system I managed to cut the fabric, machine stitch the binding to the front side and then machine stitch it down to the back (from the ditch on front side) in a little under 3 hours.

It doesn't work for me on placemats sized objects or smaller. For those, I machine stitch the binding to the front, then hand stitch to the back.

Rob
Old 01-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I want a completely machine sewn binding, I use Charismah's tutorial on QB. It is sewn to the back, flipped to the front and if you use a thread that matches for top stitching against the flange, a real nice touch. If you type in Machine binding with Flange in the search box, it should come up.
There is another thread that had a link to machine sewing binding with the buttonhole stitch but I can't remember the title of that thread.
When I machine sew a binding with a flange I'm not happy with the way the stitches show on the back. Any thoughts on this?