Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 PM

What a great idea to go "public" about UFO's. Our "project and challenge co-ordinator" at my quilting group has prepared an interesting year ahead for the group and I would like to be able to take part knowing that I do not have a string of UFO's waiting to be finished.

Thanks for putting up the challenge. I did make it a goal on my blog to tidy up the unfinished before starting something new and now that I have gone "public" it will keep me honest.......hopefully.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM

I have a finish to kick off the New Year! I made this wallhanging several years ago and was inspired to finish it last month after realizing it would look great in my newly painted/furnished family room. I almost had the quilting done on it by Christmas, but didn't quite get it done before having to lay it aside for the holidays. Today, I was able to sit down and finish it up. So pleased with how it turned out and it has taken its place over my sofa! I have about 10 more UFO's to plow through this year, so one a month would be a reasonable goal. The hard part will be staying the course and dividing my free time between quilting and other interests.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539209[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]539210[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1478.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	539209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1475.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	539210  
Old 01-02-2016, 03:59 AM

Allspots, this is beautiful. Love the color combinations.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:39 AM

All spots, that's a beauty! Great layout and colors with simple units. The border detail is so fun! Congrats on a great finish.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:43 AM

I don't have many UFO's but I do have one in particular that has been haunting me for a couple of years... so I'm in.
It is a tumbling block quilt I started for my son and he reminded me at Christmas that he still hasn't gotten his quilt while other's have. I thought he had forgotten about it but obviously not.

I always post a list first of January (learned here on the QB a few years back) which itemizes specific projects and goals. Some of my finishes in 2015 were 4 window valances for our master bedroom, learned how to post pictures on the QB, practiced FMQ on my new Janome 8900 and machine applique. For 2016, paper piecing is top on my list along with my son's quilt. Let the good times roll....
Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I will be jumping on this train too-- I have way too many! Large and small in many stages of completion from just cut out, partially made blocks, stacks of blocks, constructed tops needing borders and tops waiting for quilting... Some I want to just make go away ( pass on) , some I truly want to finish. I can certainly use some encouragement and motivation.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 AM

Count me in! I'm still counting UFO's, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20. I'm working on Bonnie Hunters latest mystery quilt and I have a baby quilt to make, then my goal is to finish one UFO before starting a new project. Hopefully this will help me get the UFO's under control.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

i can't even total my UFOs. i did, however, organize them when cleaning up my sewing area for Christmas entertaining. the handwork will be done at my weekly sewing bee. believe it or not, my avatar is a UFO... all it needs is the binding sewn to the back. and i hope to finish setting up the quilt frame today to get the quilting done. i hope that joining this thread will keep me motivated.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM

Ok quilters, the thread is up and you've already been posting! Wow!

Welcome to everyone!

It doesn't matter if you have one unfinished project, 5 of them, 17 (egads, that's me :/) or a hundred, just jump on board and we'll start chipping away at those numbers! Let's encourage each other to start on one this weekend. Pick any one and let's get started - if you haven't already.

My first one is a small wall hanging I threw together one afternoon a year ago. It only needs a binding and it will be done. This weekend I WILL Finish it! How about you?

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-02-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 AM

Decided to follow you all and work on getting my piles done too! I have two completed tops and backs that need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have two tops and backs which I have worked on while having a concussion and they need to have some redoing (I went to iron them and couldn't believe all my booboos) I have two t-shirt/memory quilts to do and I have been organizing my fabric with patterns in 15x15 zip loc bags.
thanks Janice, will be great to spend another year with you!