Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
2015 - End of the year "weigh in" >

2015 - End of the year "weigh in"

2015 - End of the year "weigh in"

Old 01-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My life is on hold. I'm still taking care of my parents at their house. Nothing else really matters at this point.
My heart feels for you Miriam. That was pretty much my 2015, taking care of my Aunt, and then dealing with her estate and her daughter after she passed.

Although I did make a few neat finds in 2015, I didn't score either of my two major bucket list items. And my list of to-dos with machines that need work, sewing and quilting projects just keeps getting longer and longer..........
I did make one major purchase as soon as the house sold, I bought 2 of the new Janome embroidery machines, one for me and one for my BFF. She deserves it for putting up with me for over 30 years, lol.

Cari
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Loved your post. You have certainly been busy.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Sometimes you can even use pallet wood if you can tell it's a hardwood by looking and the boards aren't too dirty. It doesn't take much ground in dirt to mess up your tools.

Oh yeah, here's a big one. We finally have our camera situation straightened out so I can start posting pictures again.
It's about time.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all have a safe, healthy and happy 2016!
Rodney
Tammi, thank you for "bringing us up-to-date" and for the larger picture of your avatar.

It is good to read all the others' weigh-in, too.

Rodney, how do you tell if pallet wood is hard wood? I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from you - yes, it is about time.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I would love to test it out! I don't have a 222 but would like to try a bag for a 221 and yours look great!

At some point I'd like to try the french polish too. I haven't given that a try yet.
Cool! I'll let you know when I'm getting close.
When you get ready to do the FP, do it first on something you don't care about. It's hard when you get vested in it.

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Weigh in on 2015? Ugh, started the year sewing and painting an old white........got the paint done and the irons painted, but stalled out then.... It went to storage. I switched gears and built a Kayak...then I bought two old semi trucks to restore (I mean who DOESN'T need an all wheel drive class 6 truck sitting around) then I took a blacksmith course at the local folk school and ended up accepting a request to teach a sewing course for them, so now I am trying to put together a pattern a course description and a "curriculum"... .2016 is going to be interesting.
I had a similar sort of year too. I branched out a little, spent less time tinkering, more time quilting, started learning some woodwork. I think it's pretty normal for things to ebb and flow. I do wonder what made you want to restore semis. The blacksmithing sounds really cool though. Did they give you an idea of what they were looking for about the sewing course or is it wide open? (the hardest way to do it)

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My life is on hold. I'm still taking care of my parents at their house. Nothing else really matters at this point.
Similar to our 2014. Life in limbo. I don't envy you but family comes first.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Although I did make a few neat finds in 2015, I didn't score either of my two major bucket list items. And my list of to-dos with machines that need work, sewing and quilting projects just keeps getting longer and longer..........
I did make one major purchase as soon as the house sold, I bought 2 of the new Janome embroidery machines, one for me and one for my BFF. She deserves it for putting up with me for over 30 years, lol.

Cari
That's so generous! Does she love it? It seems even when I make progress, my to do list gets no shorter too. Of course if I'd stop surfing for inspiration I bet that would help.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Tammi, thank you for "bringing us up-to-date" and for the larger picture of your avatar.
Ha! I was just looking for a good positive end to the year, maybe some momentum to take us into next (this?) year.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

I had a similar sort of year too. I branched out a little, spent less time tinkering, more time quilting, started learning some woodwork. I think it's pretty normal for things to ebb and flow. I do wonder what made you want to restore semis. The blacksmithing sounds really cool though. Did they give you an idea of what they were looking for about the sewing course or is it wide open? (the hardest way to do it)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539211[/ATTACH]

how could I NOT want that.. two stoke diesel and 10 drive wheels.... think i will make it into a motor home.

As far as the class, I will be gearing towards complete newbies, and will concentrate on simple "outdoor" gear, with an eye towards doing canvas and cordura with a home machine, and how to adjust and choose a suitable machine. I have a Mill surplus ruck sack that I really like and we will be duplicating that... super simple canvas bag with draw strings.... but i get to do felled seams and seam tape.... this is kinda for the "granola" people at the university that want a custom bag for their mountain bike... or booties for their sled dogs hope it works out ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21501017134_1a9d1f2b91_c.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	539211  
Old 01-02-2016, 12:21 PM

My goodness, that certainly is ... orange. How loud is it as a 2 stroke? Diesels in general are noisy.

I like the sound of the class! That rucksack should provide lots of great skill building.

I tried to put booties on my sled dog once. He proceeded to try to keep all 4 feet off the ground after that... He never did like them. They were a gift, I didn't force him to wear them after the first time and he finally ate them. Sled dogs are nothing if not opinionated. You should have seen what he did to my roll blind when I got him fixed.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
That's so generous! Does she love it?
Yes she does. In fact she's used hers more than I've used mine so far. It's a huge machine and takes up so much room with the extension table on it that I have to set it on two cabinets pushed together. Just for reference, that's my 350 sitting on the floor, bottom left, looking so small, lol.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539268[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032386.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	539268  
Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 PM

It looks as big as the 15000 my cousin has! I'm glad they're shipping with an extension table! The hoops would be flagging all over the place otherwise! That's possibly my one beef with the 350. I thought of building it an extension bed. One day maybe.