Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Batting Question >

Wool Batting Question

Wool Batting Question

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Wool Batting Question

Does any one of you Quilters use wool batting ? If so where do you purchase and do you like it? i do not like the flat batting i have experienced with some of the battings i have used. I know the wool batting is a lot more costly but i would like to try it. Thanks for your input. Shirley
Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 AM

I haven't tried it and look forward to hearing some responses to your question as I am also very interested. There is a place in Abbotsford, BC, Canada that makes gorgeous carded wool batting. I was at this wool shop for knitting and noticed the battings. They are large and I was unable to take it on the plane
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I have some very OLD Hobbs Wool batting and I don't think it is washable as the current stuff is so I haven't used it.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM

I used washable wool in my log cabin quilt that I am using on my bed now it is not as heavy as warm and natural but it is warmer. I have not washed it yet
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Wool is a fabulous batting material. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer than cotton, weighs less and drapes very nicely. It is also one of the 'loftier' batting materials and show off stitches beautifully. Wool is a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it for those 'special' quilts.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 AM

I like Hobbs wool batting. It is washable and can be pre-shrunk using the instructions on the package.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:51 AM

i love it and use it almost exclusively thesedays.

the hobbes if great....rolls out and behaves just like cotton. i have used some off the bolt from the lqs and it made me a bit more nervous. loftier and tobe honest the quilts i made with it haven't been washed yet.

i would recommend hobbes for sure though. amazing and warm and easy to work with.

aileen
Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

My choice would be Hobbs wool. Quilter's Dream wool is also supposed to be good, but at least one quilter on the board here posted about some problems with it so I am inclined to stay away from it. I would ***not*** buy any other brands of wool batting or use old wool batting, as they may not be manufactured with the new standards for wool. Old wool battings had to be encased (by the quilter) in cheesecloth before being layered into a quilt; otherwise they bearded terribly when quilted. Off-brands of newer wool batting may require much closer quilting (and possibly also layering in cheesecloth) to prevent weird distortions when washed and bearding.

Wool batting (Hobbs or QD brands) is easy to hand quilt or machine quilt, gives excellent stitch definition to the quilting (probably the best of any type of batting), has good loft, "breathes" well, is washable, and basically lasts forever. It is often the batting of choice for people who make quilts with hand applique and want to hand quilt -- because it gives such good definition to the quilting.

If you scroll down a bit on this website, you can see an example of quilting with wool:
https://sewkatiedid.wordpress.com/ca...l-color-quilt/
Old 01-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
Wool is a fabulous batting material. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer than cotton, weighs less and drapes very nicely. It is also one of the 'loftier' batting materials and show off stitches beautifully. Wool is a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it for those 'special' quilts.
Literally could not have said this better myself!
Wool batting from Hobbs or from Quilters Dream is my very favorite batting to use all year long, quilting by hand or machine. (By hand it's like quilting thru butter!)
It is washable in your quilt.....I wash mine several times a year on cool and with full cycle in my front loader.

Jan in VA
Old 01-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I love, love, love wool battings! My favorites are Hobbs Wool and Dream Wool. Both are lightweight, lofty, washable, needle beautifully, wonderful drape, breath. My favorite quilt has dream wool batting-- I love how fluffy, soft, lofty, cozy that quilt is when I take it out of the dryer. I launder with a normal setting, warm water, dry in the dryer, regular settings, take it out & hug it! It doesn't get laundered often ( couple times a year) but it's as great this year as it was 10 years ago when I made it. I put it on the bed after Thanksgiving, it's our. * winter* quilt, gets laundered & put away in the spring when I change to a spring quilt.