Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOW I am using cutting gloves >

NOW I am using cutting gloves

NOW I am using cutting gloves

Old 01-08-2016, 08:08 AM

I've been using a F&P Klutz glove for a few years. I wasn't convinced that it would do much good (science geek here), so I tried a few cuts on the cuff. It works! I machine stitched over the cuts so it wouldn't fray. I wear it only the hand I hold the ruler with since I always retract the blade of the cutter before setting it down, keeping that hand safe. That way I have one free hand and one gloved hand. The glove helps to rotate fabric on the cutting board so I don't see it as a hindrance.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

he, he. i was using my long 24 inch ruler that had a plastic glue on guard on it, but of course i picked it up and was cutting with the opposite side. somehow the rotary cutter went over the lip of the ruler and into my thumb. took four hours to stop, no stitches but nerves were hurt. wore a metal finger guard awhile. Still don't have cutting gloves.
my cutter retracts automatically, so that is good.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 AM

I never knew cutting gloves existed. Genius!

i sliced my left index finger earlier this week. Wearing a bandaid on your index finger and trying to keep it dry is a pain!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 AM

It happened to me too. Those nerve endings on the finger tips are so sensitive. It takes forever to heal.You can still feel it years after it happens. And yes, I too bought the F & P gloves, but they sit in my drawer, because they are clumsy.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I tried my first rotary cutter right before I went to work at the salon I was working in still. It was Thursday, busiest day of the week. Left index tip also. Had my neighbor come over and help me. She brought her "Super Glue" Brand new tube. It was a long day at the salon but I got through it. Wore a glove on the left hand all day long. My finger nail was just long enough to put a finger guard on so I didn't have to rest on the tip. I have a pair of fisherman's fileting gloves and they work great. When I'm cutting I have my left hand covered. One thing I was happy I chose a piece of scrap to cut. Bloody mess all over it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 AM

I took a big gouge out of my left index finger. I took weeks to heal properly. I knew it needed at least one stitch but I was being stubborn. I was an ER nurse at the time and didn't want to go to my own workplace and admit I was so clumsy. Next time I'll be getting the stitches!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 AM

yikes... how painful and probably frustrating for you and for others who have suffered rotary cuts. I hope your finger mends quickly. Thanks for the info on the Hatch gloves.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:29 AM

This is exactly the reason I'm hoping to find the 6 x 12" ruler to replace the one I mentioned in another post! Don't want a narrow ruler. I want my fingers back from the edge of the ruler. But I will admit, it was the 6 x 12" that I was using last fall when the cutter jumped the lip and I, too, lost the thickness of bacon from 2 fingers. Yes, those bleed prolifically but I'm pleased to report that mine healed amazingly well. Still some numbness and thankfully along the side and not the tips of the fingers. Haven't tried the gloves but don't like gloves when gardening or even a thimble when sewing. (I use a leather thimble when hand quilting.)
Old 01-09-2016, 05:20 AM

This post will make me find my klutz glove in my sewing room. I think I know where it is. lol. I do find the glove inconvenient as I don't like to take it on and off all the time. I guess better that than cutting a finger. I do have a retractable cutter which I always considered very safe as far as setting it down. Last week I cut the end of my right hand thumb when I went to pick up my cutter, blade retracted, and cut the end of my thumb. It got under the blade as I wasn't looking where I was putting my hand to pick it up. Now I make sure the rotary cutter is placed blade down so my fingers don't get in that tiny spot between blade and plastic of the rotary cutter. I never thought I could get cut that way.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 AM

My significant other decided he didn't need a quilting ruler, he could just use a plain old plastic ruler to help me cut . He soon learned, the hard way, that the rotary cutter jumps over the edge. Moral of story, he cut the tip, skin deep only, thank goodness, of his finger off, but it took forever to heal for exactly the same reason as above, continued to bleed/seep for days. Now I truly keep my rotary cutters out of his reach. Men are like kids.