Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which new machine to buy. >

which new machine to buy.

which new machine to buy.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
I have 3 Brothers: One is mechanical with a few decorative stitches, one is the cs6000i digital and finally, the Innova 1250 with embroidery. All are very good machines. But for the perfect straight stitch, and I do mean perfect...it's the Bernina 153 Virtuoso QE for me. The stitching is very, very smooth and consistent. The fabric up-take is also consistent which I find is not always the case with all the Brothers. I used the Innovis for embroidery but I always wind up with the Bernina for piecing. I have the best chance of consistent 1/4" on that one than any of the others. If you are used to a Bernina, do yourself a favor and try out a few others before deciding. There are some wonderful machines out there today and personal preference is a big deciding factor. Good luck.
I too have 3 brothers, a cheap lightweight one for classes, a quilting edition qc1000 and a big embroidery Innovis 1E... And I also have a Bernina 153 Virtuouso QE just like you llong0233. I agree with everthing you have said above but I do use the Innovis 1E for free motion quilting as the throat is by far the biggest.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 AM

My sister sewed on her Bernina for over 40 years, then gave it to her daughter-in-law. I don't know the model, but it's still going strong. I advise to get a second opinion.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
My sister sewed on her Bernina for over 40 years, then gave it to her daughter-in-law. I don't know the model, but it's still going strong. I advise to get a second opinion.
I totally agree with angelarose.

Right after Christmas I bought a Bernina 1120 which is 30 years old. It has a few dings in the finish, but it sews like a charm.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I have seen a few Berninas at the shop that have just been worn out -- maybe 4 in the past 6 years. Not very many, but it does happen. The lint build-up in the gears and rack will wear a machine out. Usually happens when a machine is used hard, and hasn't come in for regular service or deep clean, in a period of several years.
I think one of the few nylon gears in the old Berninas, is the one on top near the camstack, it can be replaced by a competent technician. My daughter's old 730 needed that top gear replaced, no other problems with it. Her current machine is a 1985 Bernina 930, she sews everything with it; lots of costumes and other items.

You might not be happy with a new Bernina, too much plastic, get a second opinion. I have a Bernina 1031 that I bought new in 1993, still sewing with it. I've bought 2 new Berninas, they got sold after a few years.

My newest machine is a Pfaff Quilter Expression 4.2, ten inch throat,built in walking foot, does everything except embroidery. I machine quilt and also make garments and bags.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 01-09-2016 at 11:18 AM.