Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOW I am using cutting gloves >

NOW I am using cutting gloves

NOW I am using cutting gloves

Old 01-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I remember how awkward it was to start using the shoulder strap of the seat belt in a vehicle. Many said they couldn't drive that way, it hurt their neck, it was too tight, it was made for tall people not short. But common sense took over and now it's automatic to buckle up. It's time for rotary cutter users to use a safety tool so beginner quilters, (like our children using seat belts ) will never know not to.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 AM

Ouch! I would have fainted dead away and bled all over the carpet. My DH gave me a mesh glove they use when cutting meat at the grocery store. I feel like Sir Galahad every time I put it on I do like it better than the cutting glove I purchased because it fits snug and is easier to take off. I hang mine on a little nail over the cutting mat so I won't have an excuse to not put it on. You can buy them at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $19.99.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539733[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	glove.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	539733  
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 AM

So sorry to hear that! Hope you are feeling better. Good lesson.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Last weekend I cut a thick bacon slice off my left forefinger while rotary cutting. Fortunately my DIL is a physician and I live with them so I was in good hands. Still it took three days for the bleeding to stop when changing the dressing since it was so deep. YES, it HURTS!
Here's the really, really dumb admission I have to make. My son was in the Coast Guard until this summer and he gave me his Kevlar lined gloves to keep my hands safe while cutting fabric. The label says that they are Hatch SGK100 gloves and, now that I finally got around to googling them, they are used both in the military and law enforcement. Apparently they are capable of handling even the blades of knives in confrontations. LSS, I have been wearing them since and they are very flexible and comfortable. I like them much better than the other ones typically sold to quilters for cutting. Yep, had a set of those in the drawer, too. DUH! These Coast Guard issued gloves have a surface that really grips my rulers. I love my son and I'll be wearing his gift for cutting from now on.
Note to anyone out there with cutting gloves in the drawer: They work much better if you WEAR them! Please spare yourself some agony and learn from my mistake.
I see that this Gypsy Gripper has not been mentioned...This is what I use after seeing pictures here on the board a couple of years ago. They scared me enough to get something...although it has lost it's 'grip' and has to be reattaches each time, I still use it...
.http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Quilter-.../dp/B001CE8J7E
Old 01-09-2016, 10:34 AM

I cut a nice gash across my thumb once with a rotary cutter about 28 years. I forgot how many stitches it took to close. It was bleeding nicely. Luckily, our neighbor and friend was home at the time, since my son was 18 months at the time, and was able to take us to the ER. DH was working that night.

I probably should get a pair, because I almost cut myself recently. DH gets nervous when I cut certain things in the kitchen.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

So far, knock on wood, I have not had a rotary cutter attack me, however, I would offer the same advice that you give for wearing cutting gloves while handling a wand blender. I was making cranberry bread, holding the wand in my right hand, with my thumb near the button, I should have used anything but my finger to get the cranberries out of the blades; when I accidentally hit the button. Yup, I got a deep cut on my left index finger and a trip to Urgent Care where I had a few stitches and a story from the Dr. about how he gets cuts to the chagrin of his wife.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 AM

I went right to the site where Icould buy those gloves your son got for you and bought myself a pair!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM

I just bought a pair from Amazon for future use.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I see that this Gypsy Gripper has not been mentioned...
I use the small round Gypsy Gripper when I'm using small templates or rulers. I always use some type of safety tool or I don't cut with a rotary cutter and no one is my sewing room uses a rotary cutter without a safety tool.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use the small round Gypsy Gripper when I'm using small templates or rulers. I always use some type of safety tool or I don't cut with a rotary cutter and no one is my sewing room uses a rotary cutter without a safety tool.
That has to be handy too. Make me think about 'investing' in an Accuquilt Go.. But.....too stinkin' expensive for the dies...