What are you reading?

Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
I am almost done the last book in the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel. They are really good books if you can look past the sex scenes. I tend to skim or skip those. I am about to start The Game of Thrones series but am wondering about the wisdom in that because the series is not done yet...Happy reading!
If the sex scenes in the Earth's Children series bother you, you might not like Game of Thrones...it has some pretty rough scenes. It's an amazing set of books (I've read them all twice and am also a fan on the HBO show) but some of it is really dark and can be a little disturbing.

I just finished reading The Martian - the book that the movie is based on. It was a GREAT book, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I liked all the science in it, and the main character's sense of humor is just like mine - I literally laughed out loud several times while reading that book, and that's rare. I haven't seen the movie yet, I hope they didn't wreck the story. It's supposed to stay very close to the book, so I'm hopeful. I don't usually like watching movies (I haven't been to a theater in at least 6 years) but I'm looking forward to this one coming out on DVD.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM

I just finished Lee Child's Bad Luck and Trouble. It's one of the Jack Reacher books. They aren't for everyone but I love them. Lots of action!
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Didn't know there was a book Martian. Will have to order from library
Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Didn't know there was a book Martian. Will have to order from library
Yep! Author is Andy Weir. Turns out it's his first book too - I can't wait to see what else he comes up with.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Really enjoyed Martian & thought they did a pretty good job on the movie. Also enjoy his blog
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 AM

Just finished "The Valley of Amazement", by Amy Tan. Very good. Now reading "The Accursed", by Joyce Carol Oates. She is dark and wordy, but I like her writing, read many of her books.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 PM

thanks to everyone who provided info on their e-readers. I found a good deal on a Nook - so purchased it on-line this evening. I've officially used up all my Christmas money now.......bought the Nook, an exerciser thingie called the "bodyblade" from QVC, tennis shoes and paid for a quilt block-of-the month program at my quilt shop (making both colorways because I could not choose)! Now, I'm broke! So, that library option better work for the free books! I'll check out bookbub too. Thanks again! Happy reading!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Norah Lofts "How Far to Bethlehem?" I really enjoyed this.
"Alice's Tulips". I can't remember who wrote it but I really liked it. It is the story of a girl from Illinois who marries a man from a western state. He takes her home and promptly leaves her on the farm, with his mother, to go fight in the civil war. She gets involved locally sewing and quilting for the troops.
Lots of good suggestions on this thread, thanks for starting it.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Hi everyone. I received my Barnes and Noble nook on Friday night (late) and LOVE IT! I was able to download a free book...thank you to those that suggested Bookbub.......I spent yesterday reading and napping in my sun-filled bedroom while it was cold outside. What a wonderful way to spend a lazy day. I finished the book!

I just now downloaded another free book.....but I think I'd better start limiting my reading time....I didn't get much sewing in.

Just wanted to share that you all helped me make the plunge to an e-reader and I'm going to write down all of these wonderful book titles and authors...that way I don't "freeze" at the library when I am searching for a book to read....I'll have plenty choices!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 PM

So my all time favorite books are the "Tish" Series by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I go back to them when I need smiles -- I first read them in 8th grade and almost got kicked out because I laughed so hard.

I have enjoyed all of the suggestions -- and have found some authors to try. Thanks.