Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do when... >

What do you do when...

What do you do when...

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Part of me says that how would anyone know there was supposed to be a red strip? The OCD in me would take them apart. I know there are no quilt police, but I want my projects to be as good as I can possibly make them so I would take them apart. Whatever you decide please know that you're not alone, we all goof now and then.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:31 PM

I think I will follow your suggestion, so I am trying to decide which ones will work and which ones need to be re-worked. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Hope to make you feel a little better... I once worked hard over some pretty intricate blocks for an Easter table runner. When I finally put them all together, I realized that they made repeating Swastika patterns in Easter colours. Obviously, that one was one for the garbage pail.
Yours though sounds like you could put it together in a different setting and it wouldn't be exactly what you hoped, but might make a nice gift for someone else. THEY don't know there was supposed to be a red stripe.

Watson
I think I know exactly the pattern you are talking about, as I too made an Easter Table Topper out of the same pattern and all I saw when completed was the Swastika.

I think you've received some good advice regarding your log cabin blocks, it would help to see pictures if you can post a picture here. I agree with the poster that said, "We're our own worst critics."

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
My thoughts exactly! You can also try adding one or two additional rounds.

What I would do, too. I'd start over before I took it all apart.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM

I am glad someone else had this happen! I was so appalled when I saw what I had made. Mine ended up as batting for a dog bed!

Hope to make you feel a little better... I once worked hard over some pretty intricate blocks for an Easter table runner. When I finally put them all together, I realized that they made repeating Swastika patterns in Easter colours. Obviously, that one was one for the garbage pail.
Yours though sounds like you could put it together in a different setting and it wouldn't be exactly what you hoped, but might make a nice gift for someone else. THEY don't know there was supposed to be a red stripe.

Watson
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 AM

I wouldn't take them apart. I'd give it to someone, they know not what we did! Make one for yourself with the colors you want.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 AM

I am quite sure that I would "repurpose" those 20 blocks. I figure the time it took to take apart and resew those 20 blocks, plus the frustration, I could have done 20 more blocks without the ensuing (sometimes) holes, rips and trying to my patience.

Your 20 blocks might even be big enough all by themselves to make a baby blanket or a throw.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:58 AM

I'm really fond of crazy quilts, so all of my "bummer", extra, and test blocks end up in my crazy quilts. Sometimes I leave the blocks intact, or if I have several (like you do) I just grab my rotary cutter and slice them up into random shapes and sprinkle them throughout the quilt.

Crazy quilts are awesome for using up weird little scraps and odd blocks. I make at least one a year and I really look forward to making them. Anything goes, and it's nice non-stressful sewing. People seem to really like looking at them too - family members often spot scraps (or entire blocks) from quilts I've made for them. I think they're my favorite type of quilt to make. Plus I have space in my scrap bin afterwards!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 AM

With 20 blocks completed , I am sure there is a way that you can place them that is pleasing to your eye. Forget about what you had in mind as that went by the wayside, but concentrate on what could be and you might be surprised what pattern you come out with. Enjoy.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM

Watson
Oh dear! What a realisation to make after all that work.