Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you didn't laugh, you'd cry... >

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry...

Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM

When I first started quilting 30+ years ago, I started to hand-quilt a whole piece quilt, white fabric with white thread. After I finished the first corner, I put it aside. Many years later, I asked myself, where is that quilt? When I found it, the safety pins I had in it to keep it together had rusted.

I threw it out.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:40 PM

thank you for posting this history. interesting read.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM

Several years ago I made a quilt for my daughter and had it sandwiched and had begun hand quilting it when I noticed the same mistake in five of the blocks. It was like a leaf on each side of a lily and they were angled the wrong way. I picked out two of the blocks and made them right...then decided to leave the other three 'wrong'. Now it is a fun game to see if we can find the 'wrong' blocks and you would be surprised how difficult it is to find them!!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
When I first started quilting 30+ years ago, I started to hand-quilt a whole piece quilt, white fabric with white thread. After I finished the first corner, I put it aside. Many years later, I asked myself, where is that quilt? When I found it, the safety pins I had in it to keep it together had rusted.

I threw it out.
ctyankee- too funny! I did almost the same thing, probably about 30 years ago, although I made mine, or started to anyway, with large blocks. It was white on white and intended for a wedding quilt. Had never done quilting at all, let alone hand quilting. Well, the wedding was called off and the blocks were set aside. I ran across the blocks several years ago when I actually took a quilting class and started quilting. I used the blocks which were individually sandwiched as practice blocks for FMQ. That white on white must have been popular about that time. If I were at home I would look for the book that had the pattern I was using just for fun.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
The Navajo used it, I think.
Actually, it is a very early quilt block called the flyfot or fylfot.

http://www.quakerquilthistory.com/20...or-fylfot.html
I'm glad you posted this. I had read that what we call a swastika was a symbol for a cross in an earlier time. Still and all, every time Watson looked at that runner, she saw and heard swastika.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I'm glad you posted this. I had read that what we call a swastika was a symbol for a cross in an earlier time. Still and all, every time Watson looked at that runner, she saw and heard swastika.
It is a very old sign found ancient history :

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths...history-001312
Old 01-11-2016, 05:27 PM

I made my Grandson a tee shirt quilt, and had it all laid out on the bed ready to put together. My daughter looked at it and said "did you do this purposely?" I am a Vikings fan, and he is a Green Bay fan, and I accidentally put the Green Bay logo, sideways on the quilt. We had a good laugh, and she said to keep it that way - Grandma doesn't like Green Bay, only when they play the Vikings. It has stayed that way for many years.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
What's the biggest "oops" you ever made while quilting?

Or is it just me?

I once made a rather intricate, (for me), Easter table runner in bright pinks and greens and when I finally put it all together and got it done, it was pointed out to me that the centre squares all made swastikas, down the middle of my runner.

There was one project that went in the garbage.....

I only wish I had a picture. When I got over my shock and disapointment , it was really quite laughable. All these bright Easter coloured swastikas...

Watson
Oh my....Can I ever relate!!! Years ago my DH and I installed our own patio, using red and yellow patio blocks. We were almost finished when I went up the back steps to see how it looked. Yep....we had swastikas too! Had to start over!!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM

My very first quilt consisted of 60 degree triangles which I dutifully sewed into rows. Decided to trim the rows up before sewing them together, you know, neat, tidy, square and uniform (sigh!).......grabbed my rotary cutter and ruler and blissfully cut off all my seam allowances! Absolutely every last one of them! That quilt top had all these triangles in it without any top points...and was considerably smaller than it was meant to be! Go figure!!! haha
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 PM

My biggest oops is still in the cupboard. It was a Christmas tree - I think it was supposed to be a wall hanging, and it was a "Modern" style, the tree was various shades of blue - but I decided to use various shades of greens. That was not the problem - the problem was the tree was not centered. It was off to the right. Since my SIL is very artsy I thought this would appeal to her. But when it was done my DD & DH looked at it, and all they could see was the tree was not centered. So then I tried to fix it with appliquéing "Merry Christmas" on the left side and I did not center that well either. So once I finish doing my stitching around the applique then it will be sent to Goodwill.