Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My FMQ cheat >

My FMQ cheat

My FMQ cheat

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM

I think your method makes a ton of good sense. Keep it up.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:22 AM

A very good tip and you meander beautifully. I want to be able to FMQ like that one day.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:24 PM

KenmoreGal2 - what foot do you use on your 1956 Kenmore when quilting? I put a walking foot on my Sixties model 158.85 and couldn't tell the difference between that and a regular foot. If anything I had more side to side movement with the walking foot unless I was very careful. Increasing the presser tension just caused it to drag unevenly.

So I just leave it at a normal setting and control the entire movement under the foot with my hands on top of the quilt (exactly what fmq requires). It seems that the foot doesn't really matter as long as I don't pull too hard in any direction (even reverse) and cause the needle to break. Maybe an actual fmq foot would be better, since I could see the stitching easier?

Have you found the heavy duty Kenmores to need an assist, such as a walking foot, with layers?
Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM

Notwendy - My 1956 model is a kissing cousin to my Avatar. They were made 2 years apart. I think they are very different from 158's but that may not matter when it comes to walking feet. In any event, it has a high shank. I've asked on the yahoo groups about a walking foot and was told by someone with the same machine that there is only one obscure model that fits it and it's quite expensive. So I use a darning foot similar to the one below and I limit myself to FMQ.

Someone gave it to me so I'm not sure of the brand name but I googled Elna to get that picture. I was also given a more traditional looking one with a visible spring but it didn't work right on my machine. It looked similar to this one.

Did I answer your question?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:09 PM

I have four tops that I plan to sandwich this weekend. I am thinking if I put those pins every 4-6" apart in lines, and then FMQ - or basically sew a curving line around each pin. I have to really learn to FMQ so this just might be doable for me. Thank you for posting.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 PM

Hi KenmoreGal2, yes, that did. I took a good look at the walking foot in the down position and it seems to sit too high. All my Kenmores are low shank and this walking foot is for a low shank machine. I may just need to lower it a bit or try it on my other machines. I also have two darning feet (one metal and the other plastic, similar to the one you posted). I'll have to pull them out and play.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:57 PM

I have always done exactly the same thing!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Your quilt is lovely, and I didn't know there was any other way. Just be careful you don't hit a pin. You could be hurt badly
Old 01-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

That sounds like a terrific idea. I applaud anyone who can FMQ. I tried it once on just a small piece and it had loops all over the back. I think your system is wonderful. Using the pins as markers works. I love the colors you picked for this quilt also. Very nice.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Basting the quilt sandwich is my least favorite part of the whole process. I know I would have to give up quilting if I had to thread or pin baste so I spray baste. Even my queen-size quilts are spray basted. Sometimes I will put a few safety pins around the edge and I have never had the least bit of problem with puckers on the back. I am also a meanderer.