Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please! >

Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please!

Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please!

Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Novice buying a Baby Lock DC... maybe. Advice please!

Novice sewer here! I'm looking to buy a machine and wondering if this seems like a good buy?

It's Baby Lock Decorators choice

It's on craigslist for $199. I don't know how old it is but looks newish(?)... I haven't been able to find another example of it online to know what it's worth/how much they were new. I am a very novice sewer so I don't know a lot about machines.

It comes with: extension table, knee lift, carrying case, owners manual. Has a built-in needle threader, drop-in bobbin, thread cutter, free arm. Included are 7 snap-on pressure feet and 4 bobbins. Machine has 57 utility stitches, 10 buttonhole stitches, 82 decorative stitches, 55 character / number monogram stitches.

Does anyone know anything about this (or a similar) machine? Advice?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-20-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: pm
Old 01-20-2016, 01:48 PM

You might google it again. I found one on Ebay for $395. I don't know this machine, but if it sews well, it sound like it is worth the money. I would want to sew on it before buying. I found a few other places to look also. I just googled ....Babylock Decorator's Choice sewing machine.

I hope someone who has this machine will jump on and give you some advice.

Welcome to the Quilting Board, by the way.

Dina
Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Welcome from NJ. Yes, please make sure seller will let you test drive before any money changes hands...and in a public place. If you are planning to piece/quilt with this machine, invest in a couple of fat quarters and a small pkg of batting if you do not own theses items already. Make up a couple of samples of things you intend to do in the future and see how it functions. I might also see if the seller uses a particular machine dealer/repair place and ask for that info to get sort of a 'reference' for the seller and/or achine if possible. Local library could be a good place to meet as many host sewing groups and would have power source.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:30 PM

Yes, she did offer to let me try it first. Although, I don't have a lot of experience to base my decision on. I am used to using a cheap Singer, so I'm betting it'll be better than that!

She also said she'd be willing to give me a 30-day money back guarantee that it wouldn't break in that time.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:46 PM

It's a great machine. It retailed for over $1k when new about 5 years ago. I have the equivalent Brother machine the NX-400. In my opinion, $199 is a fair price as long as it's been well taken care of. The current Brother PC-420 is basically the same machine and sells for $499 ish. I think the originals were better built overall and wouldn't hesitate it's a lot of machine for the money
Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 PM

I've had a Babylock Decorator's Choice and I paid $699 for it new, probably 10 years ago. It was on sale at the BL dealer because the model was being discontinued. I've had very little trouble with it, mostly routine cleaning and maintenance. The biggest trouble has been the automatic needle threader not working, which I suspect has to do with the size and type of needle I typically use.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Thank you all for the information so far!

I was trying to find out what model it is, but haven't been able to figure it out yet. I did find one that looked like this that somebody estimated came out on 2007 or 2008...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-21-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: already received PM from previous edit
Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM

It sounds like it could be a good machine for you, and if the seller is willing to let you try it out and give you your money back if it doesn't work for one month....that is pretty nice for a Craig's list deal. You might want to google and make sure you can buy more bobbins. I could never survive with just four bobbins.

Dina
Old 01-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Bobbins. feet and needles are all readily available. Uses the same as the current BL machines.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

There are two older reviews on patternreview.com and both are good. I have a Baby Lock and would not want to trade. I find them incredibly easy to use. Try it and see if you two get along.