Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Gadgets >

Quilting Gadgets

Quilting Gadgets

Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I have all sizes of the Quilter's SlideLock. I don't think of it as a gadget. It is a must have safety item. I use it on top of my regular ruler. I do not take chances using a rotary cutter.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
not really a gadget collector, but my best is the sidewinder(gift from DH) worst is martelli binder. i can only get it to work on pre-quilted fabric,nothing else.
I had the same experience with the Martelli binder!! I never use it, kick myself every time I run across it (when I'm either re-organizing, or looking for something else), but I don't want to foist it off on someone else and turn a friend into an enemy. I kind of keep it around to remind me that I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE EVERY GADGET OUT THERE!!!!

And BTW, what is a "Clapper"?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 PM

The only gadgets I'm attracted to are acrylic templates for shapes I use often.
Things like magnetic pin holder, seam rippers, rulers, mats and rotary cutter are essentials, not gadgets.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use all my gadgets at one time or another but some of my favorites are
1. Big Look
2. Gypsy Cutter (for chain piecing)
3. Clapper
4. Steady Betty
5. Hot Hemmer ruler
6. Add a quarter ruler
7. Zirkel magnetic pincushion
8. rotating mat
9. Bias tape machine
10. Sidewinder

I have the Go and over a hundred dies but I consider that as essential as my sewing machine.
What is Big Look? And Clapper---do you mean the gadget where you clap your hands to turn off the lights? If so, do you somehow use this for quilting/sewing? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Clapper (I made my own out of a piece of maple 2" wide by 24" long. Had hubby cut it into 3 x 8" pieces and glued them together with Liquid Nail, sanded the edges and voila...cost all of $4 to make) Here's a video that shows how a clapper works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFy8wgHabQ
Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 PM

I have the following gadgets that I love and use most of the time:

Martelli Binder--I bind most of my quilts with it
Seam ripper identical to the one that came with my sewing machine- I keep extras around so I can replace when they get dull.--also use them as stilettos
60mm rotary cutter and starch for gluing layers of fabric together (really helps when cutting multiples--can cut through about 8 layers of fabric)
Large cutting mat - 55" x 32"--great for pin basting large quilts not to mention cutting big pieces of fabric
Westalee ruler foot for FMQing with rulers on my domestic machine--love it
16" square ruler and 12" x 24" ruler--great for squaring up a quilt before binding, or for squaring up blocks before joining
The FMQ foot that came with my PQ1500s-- better visibility than any FMQ foot I've used on my other machines

Gadgets that I love having, but don't always use:
Big Shot Pro and sizzix and accuquilt dies--I really like this for when I'm making a quilt that has lots of really small pieces
Add a quarter ruler-- for paper piecing

I'm sure there are others LOL

Rob
Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by janecat View Post
What is Big Look? And Clapper---do you mean the gadget where you clap your hands to turn off the lights? If so, do you somehow use this for quilting/sewing? Thanks!
I went back and read through the posts. Now I know what Big Look and a clapper are. :-) Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Even with the basic equipment there is "gadgetry" - I recently bought a magnetic pin cushion (with lid for travel) and some lovely long glass-head pins. I love both the pins and the ease of use of the pin holder itself.

I also bought a pair of Kay Buckley scissors. These serrated scissors are fabulous.

After fighting 6 ways to Sunday with every conceivable manner of creating flying geese, I recently purchased the easy angle and companion angle rulers. I now make perfect geese. Why did I wait so long?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:42 PM

The Big Look is a magnifier that is on an arm and hooked to a platform that slides under your machine. It adjusts in all directions easily. I use mine all the time. It not only helps me see the needle area, but also forces me to set up straight in my chair so my neck/shoulders don't ache when I sew.

I figure that any "gizmo" that helps me continue to quilt comfortably is worth owning. If I buy something that I just don't use, I will pass it along.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:36 PM
yel

i have to say the side winder is the one i thought i would never use but i love it and the second thing i can't do without is the o'lipa rulers love love love them