Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Unleasing the Declutter-er Inside >

Unleasing the Declutter-er Inside

Unleasing the Declutter-er Inside

Old 01-25-2016, 01:18 PM

I usually don't go sewing is because I am stuck on some part of the item I am making. Like today I was stuck because I didn't know how the borders should be on my quilt. But got some friends over and figured it out. It also bugs me when I have stuff all over my cutting board table and my large ironing board. I did a good clean up when we came home to Canada after being in the states for 5 month. I packed up lots of my fabric I had in our trailer and took them home. But than I couldn't find. Any room for them. So I started going through my fabric I gave away 3 or 4 bags of cloth to Connecting Threads who does Charity quilts. I felt so good after doing that.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM

I am wondering if you have something else going on in your life and you are taking it out on your fabric. As you get older, things change in life and that change can rock your life at the moment. Then a few months down the road you will wonder why you did that. I am 73 and I will put my house up for sale soon because I want a bigger sewing room. I think I have worked all my life and now I want what I want. How much time do I have left in this world before the Lord calls me home. What state will I go to? Only God knows. I am going away for a month, maybe Florida, and when I come back I am packing to move. Maybe things will happen to show us where to go. But if I don't make the move now I may never get to. I really like most of my fabric. It is good fabric and I bought it for me to do something with.
Quilting is something that makes me happy. I like to look in the closet and see my fabric, say "hello" sometimes just the feel of it makes me smile and wonder what I will make with it. So don't be too hard on yourself, get those suitcases out, fold your fabric, fill the suitcase and slide them under the bed. When you get them out, call them your happy fabric. Who cares if you stack 5 suitcases or trunks in the living room? I won't tell. Maybe a friend will come along who likes to quilt too and you both will have fun going thru your fabric and deciding on what quilt, pillow, or jacket you want to make. Good luck, and listen to music while you are doing this, and get happy. You deserve it!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 PM

This picture makes me want to sew real fast and not have anything left when it is my time to pass.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Wow! that is quite a stash your church inherited! Our guild is helping out a high school FACS class with a quilt project and for those kids that can't afford the project (which we all know quilting is expensive!) several of us have raided out stashs--so far we've come up with 14 complete tops, at least 5 backings (with more to come) 7 bats (with more to come) and that is just from a few---more are digging through their stashes. Think we are all so happy about getting rid of the excess--and of course we all still have too much! but it felt great pulling out such a big "chunk" of stash that was not being (maybe never) used and these kids are excited--future quilters!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Having too much fabric became a problem for me in November. I had a large shelf full of flannels and no room to put anything. So I enlisted a friend and we made donation quilts out of the flannel and now there are just a few pieces left and I feel happy and free. It feels good to give fabric away to a good cause. It sounds like you are doing a good job of letting go, keep you favorites and let the other fabric bring joy to someone else.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I would go crazy. That would be so overwhelming. I would have a garage sale for so much a bucket $5 and up.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I don't know what you would do with this donation our church received recently. We all look aghast at each other and we all knew that NONE OF HAD THIS MUCH STASH at our home. This quilter had to be moved into a nursing home. So very sad.