Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 01-25-2016, 09:01 PM

When I asked this question on Step #2, I just eyeballed it and it didn't seem to work but after I sent the other email I went ahead and stitched one out and it came out perfect. Guess I should try before I assume. Still plugging away at cutting out everything. Made too many 2. x 4.5 neutrals before realizing I could cut them using the Companion ruler and save fabric. Then of course I didn't see where it stated to have matching neutrals for Step #2. And then to add error upon error I miscalculated how many extras I needed to add 2 rows. Obviously it was time to put my pen and rotary cutter down for the day with so many errors. I'm now back on track.............I think and just about done with all the cutting. Have some of my gold/neutral strips sewn and pressed but not cut into 4-patches and I know I'll have to cut more neutrals to fill the bill. But after all my goofs I'm still enjoying myself and all those miscuts will go back into the scrap pile waiting for another project to fill the bill.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 PM

BlueBonnet, looks like you used only 1 gold fabric but I love it. Could you take another pic showing your borders as they sound interesting. Right now I can do a wide black or red border but I'm leaning toward the red as I have an extra red backing fabric I want to use with this quilt. So thinking on adding the pinstripe black between a gold and the large red as someone else had done. The small black strip really popped in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Absolutely gorgeous, Fraew! Woo hoo!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
BlueBonnet, looks like you used only 1 gold fabric but I love it. Could you take another pic showing your borders as they sound interesting. Right now I can do a wide black or red border but I'm leaning toward the red as I have an extra red backing fabric I want to use with this quilt. So thinking on adding the pinstripe black between a gold and the large red as someone else had done. The small black strip really popped in my opinion.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541128[/ATTACH]
I loved the red setting triangles and I wanted to emphasize those by adding a 2" red border all around. Then I did the 1 1/2" gold border. The black border I made as wide as I had fabric for which is a 7" border. This makes it a comfortable queen size. I opted not to do the scallops although I love the look of them. May do it after quilting but probably not.

My gold fabric is a constant as well. I didn't have a lot of golds in my stash and I have always loved this piece. I'm happy to say I only bought a yard and a half of neutrals for this quilt. Oh, and I did have to buy 2 yds for the final black border. So, I'm kinda proud of that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	541128  
Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 AM

Fraew, I absolutely love yours! It's gorgeous!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Bluebonnets, thanks for the border picture. I'm thinking of a wide red border--to me, it blends with the setting triangles to create a "notched" effect. I don't want to add the curves of scallops--to me, the notches add the effect of the silhouette of the Tower of Pisa. I appreciate seeing your example.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 AM

Default I'm finally getting there...

Changed the centers a bit, found the fabrics I will put together for the backing, and took the black from another older project for the borders, yet to be designed, as I want this to end up large enuf for a Cali. king bed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	top going together web ready.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	541136   Click image for larger version

Name:	backing & border black web ready.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	541137  
Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty, auntjo!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Bluebonnets, thanks for the border picture. I'm thinking of a wide red border--to me, it blends with the setting triangles to create a "notched" effect. I don't want to add the curves of scallops--to me, the notches add the effect of the silhouette of the Tower of Pisa. I appreciate seeing your example.
Yes, I love that notched effect as well. I think a wide red border will be lovely!

AuntJo, yours is beautiful!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM

I never done a mystery quilt along before but I'm thinking about doing this one. I took the time to read each and every post on this thread and have learned lots. I am going to get the paint cards and run through the instructions and pick my colours just like you all did at the beginning. I will not have the benefit of sharing with you all like you did but will say I can't wait to start on this when I'm feeling a little bit stronger. Thanks for putting up your pretty pictures all along. I know you were asked to not post things about sizes but I think I want to make this a throw size for the sofa so I will make mines 3 x 4. Is it OK for me to ask what size that ends up being?
#1580 I love the size of yours.
All of these are just so beautiful. I bet you had a fun time with each other on this quilt. Next time I'll join at the start when I'm stronger.