Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
patterns- Instructions >

patterns- Instructions

patterns- Instructions

Old 01-26-2016, 01:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The idea of bullets is a great one. In the past most of my patterns have been written for the use of students in my workshops where I am there to lead them to the next step. They also usually cut some of the fabric before class to save time on work day. A few members here have made some of my patterns and their feedback is invaluable as well.
So, as a pattern designer, I'm learning a lot from this discussion and will be considering changes as I go on.
Jan in VA
Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I also like steps to be numbered and illustrations.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Cut, or don't cut. There is no subcut.

What is "subcut"? Does this mean wishy-washy cutting? That you're sort of cutting? Or are you cutting something underneath the fabric? Why are they using "subcut"? Why not use the term "cut"? And "strips widths"? What?

I'm a technical writer. Writing and editing instructions is part of our flair and considering the number of poorly written instructions I come across outside of my technical writing job, people should use them more often.

It really depends on the audience the directions are written for.
If it's not for a very basic beginner, then telling them to cut 200 four inch squares is the better way. A more advanced quilter is going to know how to cut out 200 squares of a determined size. To explain to them how insults their intelligence and will cause them to miss a step as they skim over information they don't need.
If this is for a very basic beginner and teaching them how to make a quilt, then it should walk them through it a bit more. So either could be correct in the direction they're taking though both are poorly written.

"Subcut"? "Strips widths"? Those are not a thing. That's naughty writing. :P

The entire document is likely too long and in the dreaded "wall of text" format, I bet. But I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Sammie1; 01-26-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

It does take skill to write good instructions.

Different people seem to have different ways of processing/ understanding information/instructions.

sometimes one has to accept what seems to be " common usage" for a term in a given field - even if the literal interpetation seems to make little sense.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
"cut 20 strips width of fabric, then subcut each strip into 4inch squares."

Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
Cut, or don't cut. There is no subcut.

What is "subcut"? Does this mean wishy-washy cutting? That you're sort of cutting? Or are you cutting something underneath the fabric? Why are they using "subcut"? Why not use the term "cut"? And "strips widths"? What?

"Subcut"? "Strips widths"? Those are not a thing. That's naughty writing. :P
The phrase she used wasn't "strips widths", it was "strips width". Width is singular. It could have read "cut 20 strips the width of the fabric". I've even seen it written "20 strips WOF" which means they're assuming you know what WOF means. Subcut seems to be one of those terms that people think clarifies the instructions; it implies that you cut the fabric, then cut it again.

However, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not a technical writer, but it drives me crazy when I see poorly written instructions published - especially when I paid for them.

One of the most useful and important lessons I learned in my high school English class was how to write an instructional paper. The assignment was to write an essay on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and assume the person reading it was from Mars. We all thought it was an easy A, and we laughed it off. But the teacher demonstrated how many assumptions we students make about our readers by attempting to make an actual sandwich from our instructions. It was hilarious and very enlightening.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The phrase she used wasn't "strips widths", it was "strips width". Width is singular. It could have read "cut 20 strips the width of the fabric". I've even seen it written "20 strips WOF" which means they're assuming you know what WOF means. Subcut seems to be one of those terms that people think clarifies the instructions; it implies that you cut the fabric, then cut it again.

However, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm not a technical writer, but it drives me crazy when I see poorly written instructions published - especially when I paid for them.

One of the most useful and important lessons I learned in my high school English class was how to write an instructional paper. The assignment was to write an essay on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and assume the person reading it was from Mars. We all thought it was an easy A, and we laughed it off. But the teacher demonstrated how many assumptions we students make about our readers by attempting to make an actual sandwich from our instructions. It was hilarious and very enlightening.

Wow, I read it three times and still read the extra s. I must need a break. Now you see why I do my editing first thing in the morning lol!
Even singular, if the instructions are for a beginner, jargon shouldn't be used without first explaining what the term means.

I had to do the same PB&J experiment in high school as well. It was fun.

Last edited by Sammie1; 01-26-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Okay, until this part of the discussion I was "on the same page". Now I'm not even in the same room.

I use "cut so&so strips; subcut those into so&so squares" in all the patterns I write. I write mostly for workshop students, of ALL skill levels. I have never had a person complain about the clarity or sensible-ness (how's that one for ya?) of what they have read.

I teach rather like I learned -- strip piecing and speed piecing. I tell my classes i am the laziest quilter on the block; I know a hundred ways to keep my bottom on that chair before I have to get up to cut or press.

If you want perfect technical English, don't come to me for patterns.
Thank heavens I don't have to please everybody!! There are a lot of us of like mind out there, and we get along just fine in the world in general.

Jan in VA
Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by aronel View Post
I have notes all over the patterns and I also write directions on a notepad, just encase I want to make the pattern again.
I do this too. I've started keeping them all in a three ring binder. When I finish a quilt, I put pictures of the quilt in with the finished pattern and notes I wrote while making it. I just envision my future grand-daughter finding it one day and feeling like she discovered some lost treasure. Maybe I'm romancing it a little...