Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection... >

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 PM

I've been anxious to make a "chicken" quilt for myself as well - where are you getting all of the funky block patterns - is there a site where I can buy them. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

My neighbor made a quilt for her DIL's mother. It is beautiful for a big larger than a full but not as big as a queen. The mother had it 'inspected" by her friend who is a long armer and judge at county fairs, FFA etc. Asked DIL to have it "corrected". DIL was hurt more than my neighbor. It was suppose to be a gift. DIL never gave her mother anything of value after that. just gift cards. It was a long time before neighbor was told the whole story. She would "fix it". DIL thought it was perfect because of the love in it. The label was changed to fit the true lover of the quilt. DGD is the one who spilled the beans. The quilt was a Dresden in beautiful beachy colors from down here. I thought it was so pretty reminded me of the one shown on "The waltons; Mary Ellen's quilt episode". The colors. BTW I am perfectly imperfect!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
Good timing for this topic, when my 50 yr old daughter came for a visit last week she brought a quilt for me to repair that I made for her about 20 years ago when I was beginning to quilt. It is so very worn, it would be easier to make a whole new quilt but she wants this one, it was so very poorly made, cheap fabrics that have just worn through but somehow I used a good cotton batting because that is still intact & the backing fabric has held up. In some areas I am making new blocks, like a mini pillowcase so I can turn in raw edges & appliqueing them over the worn out blocks. Other areas I am just darning. It will never be pretty but she is attached to this one even though over the years, as my skills increased, I have made her better quilts. Like someone said, people look at quilts with their heart.
Maire: This is why we make quilts! Thank you for sharing. I recently "repaired" my daughter's favorite snuggle quilt. My grandmother pieced it for me when I was a child on her treadle sewing machine, then tied the layers together. The poor thing has truly been loved to death. What an awesome legacy.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My neighbor made a quilt for her DIL's mother. It is beautiful for a big larger than a full but not as big as a queen. The mother had it 'inspected" by her friend who is a long armer and judge at county fairs, FFA etc. Asked DIL to have it "corrected". DIL was hurt more than my neighbor. It was suppose to be a gift. DIL never gave her mother anything of value after that. just gift cards. It was a long time before neighbor was told the whole story. She would "fix it". DIL thought it was perfect because of the love in it. The label was changed to fit the true lover of the quilt. DGD is the one who spilled the beans. The quilt was a Dresden in beautiful beachy colors from down here. I thought it was so pretty reminded me of the one shown on "The waltons; Mary Ellen's quilt episode". The colors. BTW I am perfectly imperfect!

If the mother had the quilt inspected to begin with shame on her. She doesn't know the value of things made with love.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 AM

Quilting to me is not perfection. I do the best job I can do. If I am satisfied with the project that is good. I'm not out to win accolades.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:02 AM

I really needed this today! I have in works, a weave purse that the seams are toooooo fat to make my bottom at the corners, a double wedding ring quilt(I think my only UFO from last year, probably haven't looked close enough), a portrait of Jesus that will be quilted around the portrait, a stained glass BOM(paper-pieced, have never paper-pieced), a art quilt of a pathway-lined with artificial flowers and leaves on the trees. I wonder why I am stressed? And I am my own worst critic. I do point out my flaws when showing people. People in my guild tell my I do beautiful work. Haven't figured out yet, how to post pictures on here. And I am contemplating starting a BOM quilt with the pattern Plain and Fancy-Saturday morning. The Binding Tool Star quilt from Missouri Star class on Saturday afternoon. Wow! Now I get it. I'm tired.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 AM

I think we aim for perfection because that is a worthy goal. However recognizing that it isn't a requirement is very liberating.

Back in college I remember making a B+ on my suit in my tailoring class. (My alterations to the pattern had required piecing the facings as I had not allowed for extra fabric when purchasing). Every time I wore it I was self conscious because I knew it was "inferior" even though the problems didn't show on the outside.

Then I got into costuming as realized it was all about the "look" not the perfection.

Quilting has challenged me to once again strive for accuracy but still not worry about a bobble here and there.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 AM

I too use to strive for perfect. I have learned that perfection is elusive. So now I just do my best and call it perfect because I have learned that perfect or not it is given with LOVE and that is all that counts.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM

What an encouraging thread. Reminds us that none of us are perfect and not just in our quilting. Most of my quilts go to charity ... only gifted 2. While I try my best, there is and probably always will be something wrong. I am glad we have quilters confident enough to enter shows and I marvel at the beauty of their quilts. I never inspect them; just enjoy their beauty. I enjoy the creativity of quilting and the joy of giving quilts to those in need. I keep saying I'm going to start labeling my quilts "From my heart and hands to you" (w/no name) to remind people that someone cares about them even if they don't know who it is. So let's keep quilting ... do our best at whatever level we are at ... forget about perfection ... and be happy with our achievements!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Swap Hosts

What a wonderful thread. I enjoyed reading each and every single one of your comments. The love and kindness that goes into each quilt shows what each quilt is made of -- not bits of fabric and batting, strands of thread, but lots and lots of heart.
I have never made a perfect quilt and don't expect that I ever will. Unlike many of you, I find it impossible to follow a pattern. Every quilt I make is a surprise to me -- and sometimes a battle to the end. I haven't kept many of the quilts I've made. And I've made a lot of them. The ones I use every day were made and given to me by other quilters and I love and cherish each one of them. Especially the ones made by members of QB.
I will never enter a quilt in a quilt show or even bring them to a guild meeting. I don't want them to be judged. That's not why I made them.
Thank you to each and every one of you who stitch without regard to perfection. You are the ones who are real quilters.