Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backs larger than 108".......where? >

Quilt Backs larger than 108".......where?

Quilt Backs larger than 108".......where?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 AM

It looks like John Flynn's website has changed. Hope this link works: https://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 AM

I have used a sheet for extra large backing. They work fine and you can get one in just about any color or pattern you could want.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 AM

Go on line and check out Marshalls dry goods I think they have 114 in backing fabrics.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 AM

Also, Sew Batik has 112" backs.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 PM

Snooze2978; I have a longarm and my mom somewhere at one time heard this idea and I tried it; it works. Make some 'side leaders' like ones you connect your quilt to but these will be pinned on the sides or ends where the clips are. I made mine out of drapery or upholstery fabric for a sturdier leader; made a narrow sleeve on one long side and slide about a 1/2 inch dowl into the sleeve, the length of the sleeve. My end leaders are 6 1/4" by 16 1/4" with the sleeve on the 16 1/4 inch side. I just serged around mine, but you could finish them off nicely if you prefe. The end leaders are pinned to the ends of the quilt; backing and batting if possible, but sometimes I only have enough fabric to do the backing. Pin the long end without the dowl to the side of the quilt ends and clip the clamps over the dowls. I mark the quilting area (if using a pantogram - which is all I'm comfortable with for now) on the table with painters tape, so I don't overshoot the ends and hit the pins. It's worked excellently for me and eliminates the needs for an extra 6 inches of fabric on each side and the bottom. Yes it does take a little time to pin them on and remove them each time you roll the quilt but to me it's not a great big deal. The dowl rods also keep the sides consistently taut, so I have less an issue with wrinkles on the back because the entire side is kept ridged (for lack of a better word), rather than just the two areas where the clamps are placed; it puts consistent pressure or tautness on the entire sides.
I hope this makes sense to you - and the others who have longarm quilts. Because of the cost of fabric, I hated wasting that 12 inches of fabric on the sides. This has completely cut that out. And you can make the sleeve as long and/or as wide as you want. Good luck. Hope this helps your dilemma of needing a wider backing.

Last edited by sewnclog; 01-31-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Hello, I'm in dire need of finding a site that sells quilt backing larger than the 108" I keep finding out there. Don't want muslin either but a colored or a neutral with texture to it. Muslin is okay and I found them out there but not much else. I'm working on a BOM called Sangria that comes out 105" x 105" so 108" isn't wide enough. True I could just add a strip to the sides to give me something to grab onto and I may have to end of doing that if I can't find any backings wider. I've been told that I will never find a batik wider than 108" so I've quit looking for them. The Sangria BOM is made up of all batiks though so its sad to think I might have to go with something totally off the wall for it.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Won't need it till the beginning of next year at the earliest but I like to have all my fabrics beforehand. As it is I'm still waiting on 1 fabric I ordered back in late October from Hancock and have yet to get it. I'm just about ready to cancel it and look elsewhere as all I need it a yard or 2 at most. I'm doing the Fantasia Tree frackered as someone had done and then add blocks of some sort around it to make it queen size.

Thanks again for any help.
The latest Hancock Fabrics ad I have has quilt backings bigger than 108" (I believe they are 30 percent off right now).
http://hancockfabrics.com/weekly-ad/weekly-ad.html
Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM
Jim

I have used Backside Fabrics dot com a few times...absolutely fantastic fast turn around....I ordered at midnight on a Friday night , it was in my mailbox on Monday AM
Old 02-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Backside quilting is great. Quick service and great selections.

http://www.backsidefabrics.com/
Old 02-01-2016, 02:23 PM

I just went on the internet and typed in "is there any fabric wider than 108 inches" it came back with a couple of sites so you might try that. I just came home from a retreat yesterday and a lot of the gals there use several of the colors in the quilt on the back.