Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a piecer or a quilter? >

Are you a piecer or a quilter?

Are you a piecer or a quilter?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:45 AM

I saw Watson's post on Tuesday and have been following the responses... you can clearly see that we all enjoy what we do and that is quilting however, some of us definitely have our favorite part of the process.

I enjoy everything about quilting, from deciding on a pattern, choosing my fabric and putting it all together. In the beginning I sent a few of my quilts out to be quilted but decided I wanted them to be all mine so, whether I'm any good at it or not, I now do my own quilting. If they are large quilts I rent a LA machine, smaller ones on my DM. I can see a longarm in my near future as I wait for the architect's plans to come back on my new room above the garage. : )

ps I love this board and it's diversely talented members.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 AM

I love piecing and have many unquilted tops - that I am trying to finish. Have a sit down Tiara and am getting better at free motion. Am lucky to be in a group that pitches in to help when someone has to sandwich a quilt. The part I can't master is marking a quilt - have tried many methods but have not found one that fits the bill.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 AM

I'm a piecer, but I am learning to FMQ. I like to FMQ so one day I will be good at it.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
I'm a piece but I'm really trying to become a quilter.
My progress is slow, but I'm getting better.
I like to piece - hand piecing grandmother's flower garden with 1930's reproduction fabric for years now. Also, my progress is slow with the rest of the process too - but I keep trying.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 AM

I consider myself more of a piecer although I do simple outline quilting on my tops
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Both. I love piecing, as it's like making and putting together a puzzle...but I also love quilting for myself and others. For me it's all a process that isn't complete until I have the quilting (and for me, binding) done.
Marge

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Working away at FMQ-ing my current queen sized project, I'd have to say, I'm a piecer more than a quilter.

I enjoy quilting, especially now with my new Singer S18 with the large harp space, but I really look forward to seeing the quilt come together as I piece it, like a big jigsaw puzzle.

So....Which are you?

Watson
Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 AM

I love to piece and see a quilt top come together. I have been learning to quilt my lap sized tops, just straight line quilting right now. I bought a Ruby Royale because I want to be able to learn how to quilt in the hoop. I haven't gotten to those lessons yet. I'm not good at just reading how to do things in the instruction manuals. I need hands on also. I get frustrated with the quilting as I don't have a flat area to work on. I bought a sew steady extension table which helps some. But then my quilts get stuck on the lip of the table and pull leaving me with a crooked straight line. The way I see my quilting now is how my piecing was back in the 90's when I first started quilting. Not to pretty but functional. I have improved in my piecing so I know I will improve with the quilting. Still too chicken to try FMQ, but one day. I do send my larger tops out to my DM as she is a LA'er. She gives me a discount and I pay her monthly so fortunately for me the expense isn't as bad as it would be.

Last edited by equigle5; 02-04-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Well...I claim to be a piecer, but took on a T-shirt quilting process doing a stipple and think I'm ready to get out the Press 'n Seal!!! It isn't perfect, but it's my first FMQ and my granddaughter won't care what kind of job I did; just that 'Grandma made it'.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 AM

For the first few years, I was strictly a piecer, I tied most of my quilts. A few years ago I quilted one "by check". That was a beautiful 110 x 112 quilt made of scrappy hearts, but never it really felt like "my" quilt, even though the quilter did a fabulous job on it. I decided at that point that I had to teach myself to quilt them myself. I have quilted several now, and while they are not "show" quality, they are all my own work. Up to now they have been all straight lines, but I am ready to try some free motion I think. Someday I hope to be able to call myself a true quilter, until them I will just watch all of you here show your masterpieces for inspiration.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM

I'm a hand appliquer and hand quilter. Piecing never comes out right. Lol