Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chalk on white fabric >

Chalk on white fabric

Chalk on white fabric

Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 AM

I have found that the washable crayola crayons come out but it has to be on something you will wash after completed. I make a lot of totes/bags so do not use it on those. I have used Chaco and like it but always on washable stuff.
I did have trouble removing the blue chalk on white but after washing again it came out.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 AM

Crayola makes washable chalk. I have used white chalk when I was FMQ'ing with black thread on black fabric. I always wash my quilts afterwards and never had a problem. It is a bit dusty but makes it easier to see. My suggestion is to try it on a similar color before you start work on your quilt.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 AM

I have used the Crayola washable markers,(not the one for fabrics) they have the fine point ones now. Washes out easily.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 AM

I use the Crayola Ultra Clean, fine line washable markers, with good success even with a HE washing machine. And with all colors.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jarty View Post
I'm about to quilt the background of a white baby quilt and want to mark the pattern so I can machine quilt it. I can't use white chalk and don't trust Mark-B-Gone and disappearing ink on white fabric.

I've heard of people having trouble getting colored chalk off fabric but it seems like my only option. Who's used colored chalk on white and did you have any problems?
I just finished a baby quilt with white sections. I decided not to take a chance, and I printed my quilting pattern on tracing paper (bought at Wal Mart 40 sheets in a tablet). This worked very well for me, however, a word of caution. Do not quilt right on the printed lines as sometimes the dark print will stick under a stitch. I lightened my pattern, which worked well and sewed just outside the lines. It worked for me and I am not an experienced FMQ quilter. Here is my quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542973[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jenny's quilt copy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	542973  
Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 PM

One thing to remember when you aren't using chalk made especially for fabric is that the "dust free" chalk has an oil in it and could stain the quilt--so go with the really cheap chalk!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 PM

what if you used a colored bar of soap to mark with, I think that would wash out
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 PM

So Jarty, what did you decided to use for marking? Just wondering. I have used colored chalk that did not wash out as others have mentioned, but one time I soaked a baby quilt that was marked w/the colored chalk and it did come out. I still will not use the colored chalk again. I think I am going to try either regular chalk, or the washable markers, I do have a friend that has used them many times w/success. I like the cinnamon for marking stencils idea...would smell good too!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 PM

There is a thread. On here about markers and shows examples of ultra washable crayola pens washing out of white and colours. Very informative thread.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

I have used Crayola washable markers with great success. Test on a scrap if you are really worried.