Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? >

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by D'Marie
Oldswimmer, you're my kind of person.I like to look for bargains and unusual places to get them.IWe used to go to auctions because sometimes you can get whole boxes of quilt materials there for as cheap as $o.50. I figure it's not to see how much you can spend on making a quilt but how little you can make a nice quilt for.We used to have a sewing factory,in our town,and you could get boxs of nice scraps or sometimes even yards of nice material cheap.Good thing I have a large house because I have boxs of scraps saved for quilts. Course I share them with friends.
Oh..... auctions... that used to be a really addictive habit. I was a regular at our Wed night auctions. It has the same comraderie as quilting friends, except maybe a little more competitive. Three years ago there was an auction of a quilt store that went out of business. Oh my, you should have seen those quilters bid! We all ended up with plenty of bolts, and later I would find them in the dealer booths at the flea market, so picked up even more! About the same time there was an auciton of an upholstery shop, and I came home with large rolls of old barkcloth and 1930's & 40's fabric. Had to go all 3 days, but I satisfied my addiction! Last week at Goodwill, I found a plastic bag full of what look like feedsack scraps. When I got it home and opened it (they wrap up lots of scraps or pieces in a plastic bag and tape it with almost a roll of tape to close it) I found it was 8 feedsacks that had not even had the string taken out of the sides yet. Fully intact feedsacks! Actually, probably flour sacks... the 25 pounders! D'Marie we would have FUN together! Peggy
The most expensive for me is having them LA quilted. I have to become more confident in quilting them on my machine!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Ladies, we can never really figure the costs of our quilts. We can add the cost of material,batting,thread,backing, having it quilted and even the price of our machines. But the one thing there is no cost to figure,is the love we put in.The people who receive our quilts will tell you, they wouldn't take a million dollars for them because to them, they'er priceless.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Most of the time I use scraps or fabrics on sale. But last Fall I went ape when I decided to follow a pattern i liked. The top fabric was $96., batting $49, fabric for back 109" $40. and then took it to a long arm quilter, $102. for this 102 x 102 quilt. I love it and had hoped to sell it at al quilt show, but no one wanted to pay even for the material so I'll put it on our bed. I had plenty of admirers, but no one wanted to cough up the money to pay for it. It is beautiful, but the average person would much rather buy a quilt set made in China from Walmart, then pay for one made from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-59706.jpe
Views:	93
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	59706  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM

That largest that I make are twin-sized quilts, and it seems to average about $80 per quilt for me to make one. I think the most I've spent on one has been about $110-$120.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't know. What I DO know is that I'm spending more on fabric as time passes and I become more knowledgeable about fabric quality, etc., and more ambitious in my project choices.

I don't buy kits because they cost way more than I'm willing to spend and I like to design my own quilt tops. I am now "gathering" the necessary items, including a book, to make what I hope to be a fabulous French Braid quilt. I've just bought a lot of 2-1/2" strips, which cost much more money than I'm used to spending and that's just the beginning of what I'll need for the quilt. I'll want it king-sized and Bali backing ... the $ amount keeps adding up. I'm just grateful that we can still afford such things as groceries and utilities and gasoline.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jjtripletmom
I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.
The most I have invested in a quilt is about $400. It was for my son and his family, it was very large 140x150 and the fabrics I chose were not on sale. I also had it professionally quilted by a friend whom I paid.
It is a once in a lifetime gift, so was worth every penny. To see their faces when it was presented would have been worth twice that much.

On the other end of the spectrum, I found some partially sewn blocks at Salvation Army, purchased them and assembled for a queen size quilt. I did buy 1/2 yard more fabric to add to a scrap I had, for a border. All together it cost less than $10.00.

I make a lot of scrappy quilts and it is very hard to 'price' them.
My suggestion to keep the costs down, buy fabric when on sale and get a JoAnn's credit card for your household charges and get the gift card each month. It all adds up to savings.
Quilting is not an inexpensive hobby! but....it is priceless in it's rewards.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I try to look for sales also but I would guess that by the time you piece a top and have it quilted (which I do), you've got over $100 in a lap top and up to $300 on a bed sized one. That's why I only give these home made quilts to special people. Most people don't appreciate that it is much more expensive than an imported mass-produced one.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM

My husband is a fisherman, retired fishing guide. He never questions the money I spend for quilting and sewing.
Try to figure out how much one fish caught actually costs!!!!
Do we really want to go there?????

Ditter
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM

I, too, shop the thrift stores for fabric. They can be a goldmine, but it does take patience. My favorite is Salvation Army, their fabrics are always neatly folded and visable in plastic bags, and I think they are decidely cheaper than other thrift stores.
Garage and estate sales are also great, especially estate sales.
What the heck, ANY sale is good.
Don't be afraid to dig in the bins and search!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjtripletmom
I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.
The costs do add up, but for the most part I ignore that--buy fabrics on sale, etc. I finished a quilt for my sister as a thank you and it was easily $250 for materials and long arm quilting. She loves it and I was pleased to do something for her in exchange for a month of her time helping me after surgery.

I am glad I am not selling quilts --I think it would be difficult to get out of them what you have invested, even without counting your time. I will be in trouble if my kids ever decide "enough is enough" :>)