Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds? >

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Do You Make Quilts to Use on Top of Your Beds?

Old 02-21-2016, 02:34 PM

I make my quilts large enough to cover the mattress and springs. I then can use just a dust ruffle.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:33 PM

I make quilts to promote a happy marriage! They are 45-50 inches wide and 90 inches long, two for our queen size bed. He has his and I have mine and you can't tell that they are separate quilts when the bed is made. They fit easily in the washer and dryer. No tug-of-war fights in our bed!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:08 PM

I have a quilt on one bed that extends to the bed skirt--it has embellishments on it so I don't put other covers on it.. I also have others which I use like a blanket. I haven't put the quilts in the washer or dryer. I have made lap quilts and a number of wall hangings--after awhile you run out of beds.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:03 PM

I made a queen size (per pattern) quilt that was too long for our bed, as we have a footboard. The sides seemed a little too short. We turned the quilt sideways and it works. I think the sides are too long, but it does cover the mattress. If you do this, just remember to pick a pattern that can be pleasing in any direction.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
I use ones made by my grandmother as bedspreads. They cover the top and sides of the top mattress. I use a bed-skirt to hide the boxspring, bedframe and space under the bed.
This is the way I do it, too.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM

I use my quilts on my beds all of the time, but I do not make them to fit. I have a solid colored cotton quilt on my bed that is the size of the bed (store bought - the thinner quilted cotton type). On top of this I decoratively place 1 or 2 other hand made quilts. We throw these over top of the cotton one at night.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So for those who do not make quilts for beds....what do you make? Just curious...

Throws, purses, misc small projects. I don't need a bunch of large quilts stacking up.

I have to smile, we have a quilt that I made for our Queen bed. Matching dust ruffle and pillow shams, etc. I gave my husband his Home of the Free quilt and he likes it so much we just put it on top! Obviously not matchy match but we don't really care. I love the cozy warmth of both!

Sandy
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 AM

I'd like to, but just don't have enough finished at this point. Also, I'd like to give at least one quilt to each family member, but not there yet either. Plus, I desperately need to make a few tote bags, wall hangings and table toppers. So, the plan is to eventually have bed quilts made. When I do, I'll probably use a coordinating dust ruffle.