Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler foot and temolates >

Ruler foot and temolates

Ruler foot and temolates

Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM

I do a lot of ruler work at my dsms, none of them are mounted on a frame, all the FMQ I do is sit down. It's a lot of fun. I like to combine ruler work with regular FMQ.

I have used both the Westalee ruler foot and the one that Janome makes to go on their convertible free motion set. It's not at all difficult and if you've got some FMQ experience you will have no problem. The only thing that takes some getting used to is estimating where to place your ruler.

There's a good class on Craftsy on using rulers, with a regular sewing machine. You can also find a fair number of youtube videos if you search on: Amy Johnson, Patsy Thompson, or Free Motion Quilting.

Rob
Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 PM

I have only played a little with mine and found I like it
Old 02-21-2016, 08:49 PM

I am thinking of buying the foot and at least one of the templates or rulers. The foot seems to be pretty pricey to me, am I just being cheap?!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 PM

I just took a class on using rulers and templates. Love it but be sure and have the right foot. If the needle hits the template you can throw off the timing and do damage to your machine. You just hold the ruler not push or presss, just hold it down and sew along it. Wonderful results.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Patsy Thomson has some good advice and tutorials. I have a Janome qp7700 and the foot which fits the existing quilting parts only cost 27.00 Cnd I believe the part id the assemble for the Janome 1600. There is a you tube tutorial or one on the Janome website.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by weegrannie View Post
I have a Janome qp7700 and the foot which fits the existing quilting parts only cost 27.00 Cnd I believe the part id the assemble for the Janome 1600. There is a you tube tutorial or one on the Janome website.
The JanomeLife blog has a great write up for Janome machines: https://janomelife.wordpress.com/201...-using-rulers/

For the models (7700/8200/8900) that come with the convertible FMQ shank already, you can just buy the "frame foot set". If you don't have the convertible FMQ shank (QBH, etc), you need both a shank and a foot OR if non-Janome or other brand, you need a foot that fits that brand (that's where the Westalee foot comes in).

Oh, and note the warning from JanomeLife "Please note that Janome is not recommending the use of this Convertible Free motion foot and “ruler foot” attachment for machine models which have automatic presser foot lift as there is a chance that the foot could go up too high in the auto presser foot lift function and cause damage. Warranty will not cover damage caused by using these feet on models with Auto presser foot lift: Janome Mc12000, Mc15000 and Skyline S7."

Michelle
Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM

I have a Juki TL98Q ...does anyone have this machine and used the Westalee (SP?)foot with it?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
I am thinking of buying the foot and at least one of the templates or rulers. The foot seems to be pretty pricey to me, am I just being cheap?!
Guess it depends on if you send your quilts out to be quilted or if you want to do them yourself? At least smaller ones like baby quilts or just wall hangings. The last baby quilt I sent out cost me $35.00 on top of the $60.00 for the fabric. That is on the expensive side to me. :-)