Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How has technology changed your...... >

How has technology changed your......

How has technology changed your......

Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 AM

YouTube! I began quilting several years ago when a visiting friend started to teach me. And then she went home. I wouldn't have made it without YouTube!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 PM

The only tools I use is my cutting mat, rotary cutter, sewing machine and rulers. I've discovered that I really like taking my time with quilting and enjoying every step along the way. I don't even mind ripping out stitches...I even rip my friends' stitches when they don't like doing it.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 PM

Imagine what our foremothers would have done with a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washer and dryer and sewing machine. My mother is 102 and has been an accomplished seamstress in all forms. She remembers hand quilting quilts with some friends around a frame for $15.00 a quilt to use the money for charity. She began sewing on a treadle sewing machine and finally graduated to her prized Bernina. Macular degeneration has robbed her of the ability to sew and create quilts. She would have loved the current technology. However current technology helps her to navigate around her world in her own home. She has a pen friend that an aide uses to label packages and cans that her blindness doesn't allow her to otherwise identify. She asks a clock the time, date, temperature, etc. The automatic dial telephone keeps her in touch. I am afraid we take for granted the wonders of technology we enjoy that are appreciated from a 102 year perspective.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:41 AM

I know I'll sew more quilts since I can FMQ them myself and not have to handquilt them. lol
Old 02-29-2016, 03:52 AM

I took quilting in Home Ec in high school 30 years ago but was pleasantly surprised when I started quilting in 2011 that there were so many time-saving and efficient tools available. I tied my first quilt in 2011 but now I rent a long arm to FMQ my larger quilts... and of course, I just had to have an updated sewing machine. : )
Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 AM

I am a self taught quilter, starting as a garment sewist. Made several quilted wall hangings early on using cardboard templates, scissors and hand quilted them, however, my quilting really took an upward spike when I found out you could machine quilt them. I have never looked back.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:56 AM

I have dipped my toes into the world of technology, but just a little bit. I still prefer my mother's 1948 featherweight and my other machines are garage sale finds...a Rocketeer and a lovely older Singer that came with 20 plus cams! My rotary cutters, plastic rulers and cutting mats have made this lovely hobby so much more enjoyable. I still hand tie my quilts as I love that look but one day may venture trying some free motion quilting. I am inspired daily by all of you and couldn't imagine a day without dropping in for a QB visit.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I am basically a self-taught quilter, who subscribed to many, many quilt magazines, bought lots of books; most of which relied on templates, but then they all started to focus on using a rotary cutter and mat. I love my rotary cutter, and last fall my DH gifted me with a rotary cutter/ruler combination, which I love. All it takes is putting the fabric under the ruler/rotary cutter, put the palm of my hand on the rotary cutter and it slices through fabric like butter and let's me give my carpal tunnel in my right wrist a holiday. I can whip through my cutting and get to my favorite part making the quilts. I have a Janome 4000, with an older Brother for back-up, neither of which have lots of "bells and whistles", but it's all that I need right now. Maybe some day I'll upgrade my sewing machine - when I win the lottery, as I don't see me getting one any time soon, especially since both DH and myself are retired with limited incomes. At least when we downsized to a 2-bedroom apt. I made sure I kept lots of fabric, even though DH would have liked me to get rid of more; but my "stash" is slowly getting used - I even made my DGD a full size pieced and appliqued quilt using my stash.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM

I don't know how we did it with scissors & cereal boxes for templates. Good thing the kids were little then & liked cereal! lol My hands wouldn't take all that cutting with scissors now! Things are so much nicer now for sure.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 PM

Technology hasn't really changed my quilting--it taught me quilting! Since I've only learned to quilt in the last couple years, not much has changed! I learned by reading websites and blogs, watching YouTubes and joining groups of people who quilt. I could see how it was done, learn what tools to buy, and ask all the questions I wanted. The web is marvelous for those of us that love to learn and are good at doing research.

I use rotary cutters, mats and rulers. I cruise images of others' work to choose what I want to work on next. Although I piece my tops on vintage machines, I found those on the web too and learned to repair them and get them adjusted properly.

I haven't had people telling me mine aren't really true quilts but my answer to them would be they aren't eating real food, wearing real shoes or clothing or even living in a real house, at least not ones made how they were back then lol!

I love having instant access to search information, products, ideas, patterns and more at my fingertips and when I can't find a pattern for exactly what I want, I can design one with a computer program.