Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about mailing quilts ? >

Question about mailing quilts ?

Question about mailing quilts ?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:17 AM

I mailed a California king quilt to Texas as a surprise gift to a friend and mailed it USPS. I insured it for $750 and was told that since the insurance was over $250 that they automatically would require a signature and would not deliver it without one. When my friend got home, the box was on her doorstep, no one was home. Luckily it was not taken. I talked with a postal service person here and she said that if I still had the paperwork, they would send it down to Texas and have the paperwork show it was not signed for, and that the carrier would be disciplined. I could not find the paperwork, but since she got it, there was no foul. Just keep your paperwork until the quilts have been delivered.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 AM

I sent a package (USPS) to my daughter in NM and it was scanned in at her PO and then disappeared. She never got it and when I went to the PO to find out about it they said I had to show the damaged package before they would pay the $50. I have had UPS packages left at the PO and I had to drive 25 miles to get them they wouldn't deliver to my door like advertised I have the same problem with Fed Ex. I feel if I pay shipping to be delivered to my door they should do that. I wish I could tell you of a delivery service that really did the job but I think they are all sloppy.
So take your pick and pray.
Lynda
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

This is how I send all my packages. It's worth that little extra charge. You've put so much work and fabric into the quilt what is a little more?
Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
I always use the post office priority mail. It includes tracking and $50 insurance, and you can add more if you want. In January I sent 3 quilts from Indiana to Colorado and they arrived in 3 days. You can also request a signature if you don't want to risk the package being left at the front door with no one home. All very reasonably priced.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 AM

I use the regular post office. I also put the quilt in a plastic bag just in case the package comes in contact with water.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:02 PM

If you use the USPS Flat Rate Boxes, most quilts will fit unless it is a king size, you always know what it will cost before you get to the Post office. The boxes are free! Tape well and put the address inside also. If you think it will behitting bad weather, rain/snow, place in plastic bag first.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Jan, God bless you! You are a wonderful person. Thank you for being so kind to those who serve.