Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever make a top you just don't like? >

Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 AM

If you don't like it the way it is now, you can change it up.
You could put applique shapes in the 5 blocks that look like frames. Also Letters would work ..the word Quilt fits nicely . The 5 blocks could also be those storage bins with the slide out drawers...you could put quilty words or embellish with fabric, buttons, selvages.
I also like the idea someone gave you about letting the quilting design fill the negative space. I hope you get inspired to finish it...so many ways to change it up! Please show us if you do!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 AM

You have a wonderful work in progress. If all you need is borders, then by all means go ahead and finish it. I think the design is very striking. I'll bet when you get the borders done and get it quilted and ready to hang, you will change your mind. If you still don't care for it, give it to someone who will love it like you hoped you would.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 AM

I can see why we don't like it very much. There is way too much negative space. I would cut away both sides, save that beautiful middle (I love it), and maybe make another row of blocks just like that with what you cut off. The second row would be a mirror image of the one you have made. You would be able to use most of the material you had cut off.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 AM

I have taken the quilts I don't like and cut them up and make other things. Have made a jacket from one, purses from another, and sewing machine covers from another. It is just like working with quilted fabric you buy, and you wouldn't believe the compliments I get!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 AM

Oh, yes! I have one that has been lurking in the utility room for 5 years. Just get it done or donate it. That's my advice and I need to listen to myself!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 AM

That quilt top is crying out for quilting. I think you might change your mind once it is done.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:09 AM

As I see it, it is a matter of proportion. The colors are great, nice job piecing the boxes and will look great with interesting quilting. The boxes right in the center is what is uncomfortable for me. I wonder how it would look to have the black and white columns uneven in width, offsetting the boxes column. Perhaps more interesting to look at. Hope you finish it up, because it has a lot going for it! JMHO.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 AM

I forced myself to make a guild challenge wall hanging. I actually hated it, but won a ribbon in our quilt show. The moment my Son in law saw it he claimed it. So it is his. I was glad I stuck with it & finished it.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 AM

Finish it and donate it to charity
Old 03-10-2016, 07:34 AM

I have made more than a few things that I don't end up liking, but yours would not make the list for me. I love it and think you have done a great job with it! Would it help if you added some squares or Applique to the solid colour portions or do you just not like it? (I'm only over the border in Manitobaif that is the case!)