Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Would You Quilt This? >

How Would You Quilt This?

How Would You Quilt This?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 PM

I would also use the matching color to the front colors and not worry about the back--and this is a great modern quilt so I would probably do each of the pink blocks in one design that I would repeat in the borders. And the centers of those pink blocks I'd probably do each with a different design--check out Angela Walters for ideas--her Shapes book is great either with the DSM or long arm for ideas. Amanda Murphy has a great idea book too--but Angela does more modern quilts.
On the long white & black areas, I would either subdivide them and do some type of filler, alternating angular straight lines with curves (pebbles, paisleys, etc) OR do one angular and the other curvey. And for the border, I would probably do something angular--maybe boxes or triangles with echoing inside each. Boy, I would love to work on this quilt on the long arm--but it would be heavily quilted with LOTS of texture and the thread color matching. Please be sure to post the finished quilt--I really like this one!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 PM

All the ideas are good, I just wish I was the owner of this! Love it! I kind of like the thoughts of lines on one side, circles on the other, and I would want to see my quilting, so use a non-matching. Gray could be used through-out. Great quilt!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:50 AM

Love your quilt!

If it were mine, I'd probably do various size circles. Think bubbles.
And, I go with a totally different color thread, like apple green.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:02 AM

No help on the design but I want to say I love your finished quilt. Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:11 AM

I think a large all-over meander in variegated colors would look wonderful. King Tut has a Glowing Embers red/black variegated. A 500 yd spool at Superior Threads is $8.99.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:25 PM

How about variegated thread ( if you could find one incorporating each of the colors in your top) and do simple
Random width/wavy lines top to bottom in the predominate sections, plus echo quilting in and around the boxes/squares. Top itself is beautiful in the simplicity.

Last edited by QuiltQtrs; 03-12-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Word mis-spelled
Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM

I'm often stuck on "how in the world should I quilt this??", in spite of all the books I have and vids I watch. So I'm no help for you in that.
I just wanted to say I've not made a modern quilt yet, and I love yours. The colors are terrific! Can't wait to see how you do quilt it.
Regards,
K
Old 03-12-2016, 03:09 PM

So, this is what I'm thinking.....(At the moment, anyhow...)

In the large areas, circles of various sizes, overlapping slightly and a few lines running behind them, vertically.

I've still got no plan for the boxes or the borders. <- This is me without a clue.

Watson
Old 03-12-2016, 11:53 PM

I love the graphic nature of your quilt -- just stunning! I agree with QuiltingCat about doing opposite colors & QuiltingShortTimer about focusing on adding texture. I would do grey & pink colored thread in the middle to "match" and that will show up on the back as visual interest around the pieced stripe. Here's what I came up with (I'd add more filler around the motifs & more lines in the pink border; and would probably add pebbling or stippling around the bar graph design in the bottom triangles so they really stand out):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544682[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ModernQuilt.png
Views:	102
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	544682  
Old 03-13-2016, 04:33 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions....After letting them all percolate in my brain, I've come up with this plan....Doesn't look like much on paper. Hope it looks better in real life!

I'll quilt random circles in the big areas with vertical lines behind them and FMQ the pink areas. Still not sure about the inside of the blocks.

I have a spool of variegated light grey King Tut that I've never used, so I may throw caution to the winds and try that.

What's the worst that can happen?

Watson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544685[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99ccdac9-ff2e-42a7-81aa-a74006c9d365_zpsayktwsn8.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	544685