Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan blocks background? >

Orphan blocks background?

Orphan blocks background?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Sight unseen, my suggestion would be to square each block, find a contrasting color to sash it all around, then keep each set together. When you have enough block sets to make your quilt, then sash each block to the best choice to finish to the size which will work -- lets say 12" == Basically make a square within a square, all to finish the same size. Now you can just sew them together, or add a neutral color to create an additional sashing (with cornerstones?) and border too. This should avoid color washout and provide uniform sized blocks, while maintaining each block's individual appearance.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:25 PM

If some are much smaller than others, you can add triangles to each side to make them the size of the larger blocks. You can also add rectangles to each side to make them larger. Square the blocks as you normally would. You can sash the blocks with basically any color that appeals to you or a color that coordinates well with the colors in the blocks. Of course, there is always black, white, beige and grey. Good luck on your project. I, too, just "inherited" 270 four-patch orphan blocks, but at least all of mine measure a scant 4.5". Now to make a couple of charity quilts with them.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM

I would also use black. If the blocks are different sizes, I would lay them out and measure them. Then I would take the largest one as my designated size "master". Then sew black strips on all 4 sides of the rest of the blocks in wide enough strips to reach my "master" size on each block. Now that all of them are the same size, arrange them in a layout that pleases you, add black sashing and your orphan block quilt top is done!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 AM

Turquoise goes with all colors, and doesn't pull out the reds or the blues above the other colors. But personally, I don't like pastels mixed with civil war reproductions mixed with brights, etc. in the same quilt. However, it is what it is, and if you can make something of it, it's a quilt!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I have the book "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig. The book is basically lots of ideas on what to do with BOM blocks, swap blocks etc. She give info on how to get the blocks all the same size, setting ideas, designs and colors. You can get a reasonably priced used copy on Amazon. Great reference book for your quilting library.
Yes, this is the book that will answer the question.....
Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM

Very blunt reply
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 PM

Generous offer on your part. My public library has the Setting Solutions book. I'd check and see if yours does also. I've really started liking gray as a neutral.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I have the book "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig. The book is basically lots of ideas on what to do with BOM blocks, swap blocks etc. She give info on how to get the blocks all the same size, setting ideas, designs and colors. You can get a reasonably priced used copy on Amazon. Great reference book for your quilting library.
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...s+sharyn+craig

Thanks for posting about this book. I had never heard of it but it looks promising. I posted the link to amazon as it lets you "look" at some of the pages and you get an idea of what the book is about.