Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hinterberg roller length >

Hinterberg roller length

Hinterberg roller length

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Hinterberg roller length

I just recently acquired a Hinterberg classic frame for $10 (can you believe it?). The woman who sold it to me had 10' rollers which are way too big for my current needs. I contacted Hinterberg and I will need to purchase new end connectors for one side only and cut down the conduit pipe to the size I want - 8 feet. Has anyone tried using a length of say 6' and left the un-geared end open and used a connector to add length to the pipe to make the rollers "adjustable" in length?

I don't know if this makes sense, but it seems that if a pipe could fit the inside dimension of the conduit, 2 lengths of the pipe could be connected and maybe duct taped at the joint to make the connection smooth. This way, I wouldn't have to have multiple sets of rollers.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

congrats on the great find. i had a hinty once with a 9.5' setup. my current frame is a Grace which works the way you describe. the inserted connectors are somewhat long and fit tightly to the outside poles. mine can set up at 5,7,10, or 12'. in my estimation, it would be difficult to make your own connections and prevent the poles from sagging. some other hinty owners i've chatted with in the past just have two sets of conduit poles. good luck.

ETA.. remember that you would also have to find a way to alter the 'bed'
Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 AM

My husband says it is possible to do as you what you want to do. Make sure you find a coupling the right size diameter of the inside of the pipe. It may take some investigating to find the pieces though.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
My husband says it is possible to do as you what you want to do. Make sure you find a coupling the right size diameter of the inside of the pipe. It may take some investigating to find the pieces though.
Thank you for your husband's input. I, too, think that this is doable. I need to cut down the 10' poles I currently have, so I figure I don't have too much to lose if the idea doesn't work. I'd be interested if someone else has tried to make reconfigured rollers for the Hinterberg.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM

A word of caution, 8 foot poles only allow you to quilt up to twin sized quilts. 6 foot would only allow crib size and smaller. 10 foot does queen size. 12 foot is needed for king size.