Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Decorative Stitching on Binding >

Decorative Stitching on Binding

Decorative Stitching on Binding

Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 AM

If the thickness is a concern maybe you should skip the batting?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Just replied to another thread and found this. http://www.favequilts.com/BindingShoot it has a binding tute for attaching yarn using a couching foot. Tried to attach the video and would be adorable on your little quilt.

Last edited by tessagin; 03-24-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Just Google decorative stitching on a binding/video. It brings up the video I was referring
Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM

I've used a decorative stitch to finish my binding several times as it is the easiest way for me to ensure I catch the edge of the binding on the backside. I attach my binding to the front as usual, fold it over to the back and then using my stitch in the ditch walking foot to keep me centered in the ditch on the front of the quilt, apply a decorative stitch that moves left and right of the center/ditch that will catch both sides and the edge on the back of the quilt. I use a double fold binding, and either warm and natural cotton or Hobbs 80/20 batting and have not had any problem with the layers or thickness. I sew with a Janome 6600. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t253889.html. Here's a link to one of the quilts I used this on and if you check my other posts, I used it for my son's quilt as well.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

When I do that style of binding I sew the binding from the back and pull it to the front. I tend to use the clover pins to keep it in place and run one line of basting stitches along the edge. That gives me an idea where the decorative stitches will fall. I prefer to have them pretty on the front and don't care so much if they get off the line in the back. With my walking foot I found that linear stitches are better than those that require a backward stitching. Have fun.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Seems to be some confusion as to what I've done so far. Here's a pic. It's as quilted as it's going to be. No, it's nowhere near what I do for people quilts. It is based on my niece's design so I didn't really add much to it except for the butterflies because that space was way too empty. Otherwise, I stayed true to her little drawing (before anyone criticizes, she's 3 years old & I'm fiercely protective of her . I will hand embroider the smoke from the chimney & the antennae on the butterflies but that's it.

My one & only concern at the moment is that the back is nearly 1/4" shorter on the bottom than on the quilt top bottom. So that's why I'm thinking if I sew 1/4" on the front & hand finish 1/2" on the back, it will cover up the part where my backing was cut too short. Sure, I could pull the quilting out, move everything & just make the quilt shorter but this isn't a client quilt & it's not even for a human. It was painted with a house painting brush because my niece was using my good art brushes like stencil brushes and I didn't want them ruined. After the fabric medium dried, she drew me a picture of what she wanted quilted on her dollies' quilt & then went through my thread supply & picked out the thread colors. I'm super proud of her, but this is hardly an heirloom quality quilt. I did all the quilting at full speed so the stitches are not even ... but for less than an hour quilting time (including 50 questions from my niece after every stage -- heehee), it's not terrible. I debated just pinking the edge, but if I can bind it, I think that would be better because I know my niece would be constantly picking at the pinked edge until it unraveled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545898[/ATTACH]

btw -- learned my lesson about Inktense blocks & getting the fabric oversaturated with water. The wrinkles really don't come out. I've done inked PFD fabric on my own & it didn't get wrinkly at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	545898  

Last edited by Bree123; 03-24-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just replied to another thread and found this. http://www.favequilts.com/BindingShoot it has a binding tute for attaching yarn using a couching foot. Tried to attach the video and would be adorable on your little quilt.
I saw that on National Quilter's Circle, too. It's so adorable. I definitely want a couching foot -- so many accessories, so little money. You can do it with a twisted grosgrain ribbon, too ... although my favorite was with a metallic yarn. So sparkly! If I can't get the decorative stitching to work, maybe I'll pick up some metallic silver ric-rack and run it folded over the edge of the quilt on top of a standard binding. I've been waiting for just the right occasion to use my sparkly thread & metallic needle!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:48 AM

I've used some of my decorative stitches for attaching the binding on my quilts. I use a wider binding strip -- usually 2 1/2" -- which I stitch on the back. I flip the binding over to the front and enjoy getting the wider look. I enjoy the stitch which is leaves on a wavy stem. I haven't had any trouble with the machine wanting to balk at going backwards for a few stitches, but I do go slowly and carefully. There is no pressing the "pedal to the metal" like there is when doing the piecing work on straight seams.

I would suggest doing a trial piece first and see what you like and what you don't like. If I've learned anything from the wonderful people on this board, it's that you try a variety of things, do what you are comfortable with, and enjoy the process of creating your masterpieces.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Here's a pic of decorative stitching on a binding.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545985[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]545986[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden - Warm Wishes Binding detail.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	545985   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-100_5039.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	545986  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 AM

Those are super cute, Dollyo. Now I'm wondering if maybe I could straight stitch the back with water soluble thread at 1/2", fold over to the front with a generous 1/4" and do the decorative stitching right at the border, then go back & hand tack down the back so that it doesn't come undone in the wash. Going to try that on a sample now. Thanks so much for the advice & pics!!!