Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
creative stripolgy verus june tailor >

creative stripolgy verus june tailor

creative stripolgy verus june tailor

Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM

I have the June Taylor Shape Cutter also. Mine is the smaller 12 inch model - it was on sale at Walmart for $8.00 when they were getting rid of their fabric department years ago. At the time I got it more because of the price and thought it was worth a try, and so happy with it. I have the Accuquilt 1.5 and 2.5 dies for cutting a lot of them. Just checked out the Stripology online and they seem so similar you need to determine what size would best fit your needs.

I would not worry about knicks - unless you are really unsteady - otherwise you are in a fairly narrow slit, not like the edge of a ruler.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 PM

I sold my Alto a few years ago. I love my AccuQuilt Studio when I need to do a lot. However, I am finding that I like the Stripology a little better than my June Tailor when I need just a few strips.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM

I have both and definitely prefer the stripology ruler. I find that my cuts are more accurate...the ruler doesn't
slip. I nick the plastic on the June Taylor and while it doesn't hurt the ruler, it dulls the blade. Also it's easier
to cut 2 1/2 inch strips by following the marks at the bottom.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have the June Taylor one and have used lots and lots. It did break from putting it to the side. It broke from the bottom up to the #1 slot. I taped it back together on both sides with an enforced clear strapping tape, good as new.
I did the same thing, Phyllis! Works like it always did. I actually have 4 of the June Taylor rulers and use them more than my Accuquilt Go by a huge margin. I nicked myself once and now use a Kevlar lined glove on my off hand. To keep the rulers from slipping, I use two of those metal 2" spring clamps that are 1" wide and have the plastic covers on the handles and the tips. Made in China, of course. I got mine at Lowes. They are a "guy" tool. I have a Martelli cutting mat that is thicker than regular mats and I let my mat's edge extend about an inch over the table (folding) that I cut on and that "lip" is where I apply the clamps including the edge of my carefully lined up JT ruler. No slipping. In my fishing shack, I have a Horne cabinet with a leaf that I cut on and the clamps there will fit over the cabinet edge. No Martelli there, sigh~
Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 PM

I have five of the June Taylor rulers and am using at least one of the rulers each day. I have one for cutting eights. I never did like cutting something ending in 3/8 or 7/8 with my regular ruler. With that June Taylor ruler, eighths are a breeze! Another ruler had slots every 1/4 inch. I accidentally ended up with two of the 1/2 inch slot rulers. If I have to cut 6" blocks, I use a tiny strip of masking tape to make 6" increments on the ruler. If the pattern also calls for 3" blocks, I mark the second ruler in 3" increments. The 2 1/2" slots ruler lets me quickly cut binding strips or to cut out 5" squares. Seldom do I cut out a quilt without using a June Taylor ruler for almost everything. I have an electric Accuquilt Go that I use for cutting circles, ovals, and unusual shapes. For straight lines, I am addicted to June Taylor rulers.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM

I have the June Taylor and never have even thought about it getting nicked....There is plenty of room at the base of the cut for the rotary cutter.......I've had mine for at least 15 years and use it often.....no nicks!