Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing! >

All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 AM

Ours in Davenport, Iowa closed the first of the year. I sometimes used to shop there, but there was NEVER enough store personnel to cut fabric, answer questions and run the registers. I think people just started going elsewhere when service was hard to get.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Hancock's Fabrics was trying to be a Hobby Lobby. Just didn't work. Should of kept to their name, selling fabric.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Hancock's Fabrics was trying to be a Hobby Lobbyecame this super stor. Just didn't work. Should of kept to their name, selling fabric.

Aren't they all trying to be everything for everybody type stores....going to jaf lately is like shopping in a maze...everything from soup to nuts. I remember when there was more fabric, less crafty stuff, but then they became
theses super stores......
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM

I had heard of cutbacks. Not of closings. Saw on April 1 that my local store was closing but I thought it was their versions of April Fools!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
I had heard of cutbacks. Not of closings. Saw on April 1 that my local store was closing but I thought it was their versions of April Fools!
I saw a few other store closing hoaxes but unfortunately, this one is real. So sad for the employees.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Aren't they all trying to be everything for everybody type stores....going to jaf lately is like shopping in a maze...everything from soup to nuts. I remember when there was more fabric, less crafty stuff, but then they became
theses super stores......
The local Hancocks devoted 95 percent of their space to fabrics and sewing notions. It was busy a lot of the time. I enjoyed being able to get heavier weight material (great selection, great prices) for slipcovers. Going to be missed, regardless of why the company finally closed its doors. Not good to lose a source of fabrics and notions, a local source where you can shop.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:29 AM

We haven't had a Hancock Fabrics in our area in at least 20 years. I didn't even realize there were any left at all. Too bad. That's one reason I do most of my fabric shopping online now. No shops in about a 50-mile radius with any fabric to speak of.... A bunch of the online stores are closing too.... Good thing I have lots of stash!!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 AM

The one that is closet to me in the Cincinnati, Oh area is closing and has going out of business sale- So I checked their prices on some of the items I have been interested in and its no sale even with the 30 percent off. I been wanting to get rotating mat and thought this might be a good time to get one but I can get one for $21.00 online and at Hancock Fabric they are 43.99. Hope everyone realizes that Hancocks of Paducah is not the same atore as Hancock Fabric and they are not closing
Old 04-03-2016, 03:50 AM

We had one store closing and then found out that all the stores are closing by June, 2016. Everything is 20-30-40-50% off. I am in St. Paul. Roseville has been closing for several weeks now and West St. Paul is now going by the wayside. I should check on the 108" fabric. I need that. I like their fabric. I also like JoAnn. Our Roseville store is wonderful. Very knowledgeable and helpful. No complaints. Except that I have learned it is cheaper to buy 1/4 yd of fabric than a fat quarter. Very sad - Hancocks. Edie
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by brandy123 View Post
The one that is closet to me in the Cincinnati, Oh area is closing and has going out of business sale- So I checked their prices on some of the items I have been interested in and its no sale even with the 30 percent off. I been wanting to get rotating mat and thought this might be a good time to get one but I can get one for $21.00 online and at Hancock Fabric they are 43.99. Hope everyone realizes that Hancocks of Paducah is not the same atore as Hancock Fabric and they are not closing
The liquidator (who purchased Hancocks assets) is discounting from the list price. Their bid was $65 million so they will need to recoup plus profit. They are not trying to build customer loyalty so all sales are final.

Hancock Fabrics was established in 1957, with over 200 stores and over 4000 employees, all losing their jobs. I did a search on Hancocks of Paducah out of curiosity since there is some confusion over which store is involved in the closing. Hancock Fabrics is mentioned in the write up.
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/About-Us

Last edited by slbram17; 04-03-2016 at 05:29 AM.