Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can see it in my mind; I just can't make it happen >

I can see it in my mind; I just can't make it happen

I can see it in my mind; I just can't make it happen

Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I do mine with the larger center panel with two equal pieces sewn to each side.
For a smaller quilt I sew two equal lengths together and use that. I cut the selvages off the 2 sides that need to be sewn together, so I don't get mixed up. I make the seam about 5/8 - 1" and press open.

Last edited by Jingle; 04-07-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:01 AM

Default backing out of a single piece of fabric

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
How do I make backing out of a single piece of fabric? My quilt top is 45 x 55 and I have bought 4 yards of fabric. I know i need to cut it & sew it together somehow, but how. I have found articles on pieced backings, but can't find one or a tutorial on using a single piece of material. I made a backing one time, but I have forgotten how I did it. Please help me! I would like an answer that I can refer back to whenever the problem arises again-so I don't have to rely on my failing memory. Thanks to all who support the Quilting Board; don't know if I'd be quilting without the great help from all.
For one piece of fabric on the back, I use a bed sheet. I've been doing this for the past couple of years. Each person who has received my quilts said they like the idea. I don't buy new sheets, but sheets from resale stores, such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. They have been pre-washed by previous owners (fabric is usually soft). I wash them before using on the quilts. Before purchasing, I open the sheet and visually inspect for holes, worn spots, etc. You can find cottons, polyester/cotton blends (which I use), other blends. The sheets come in various colors/patterns. I usually pay no more than $6 for a sheet. Sizes vary as well - twin to king size. Just a suggestion. Since I put my faith in God Almighty, I turn to Him where to buy the fabric. He's always led me in the right direction. We are a great team; He Designs the quilts and I sew them. Trust Him (Proverbs 3:5-6). After all, Father knows best.