Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Sun and snow flurries on and off here all day and getting colder. Frost possible tonight. I have a crabapple tree that has some pretty big buds on it and I am afraid they won't get a chance to fully bloom if it gets too cold tonight.

Welcome sewbizgirl to our chatter. I am not near as active here as I used to be due to changes in job and children getting older/being involved in more. This is a great group of ladies for sure!!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM

We had a severe storm move through last night with high winds, and rain cells. Our power went off for four and half hours, coming back on at seven thirty last night. It got a little cold in our all 'electric home'. A pole caught on fire, they found it, then had to put out the fire, then replace the pole with a new one. It blew so hard today it was hard to stay on the road way...yesterday and day before was also high winds. No snow, so guess that was good. After the fifteenth of the month the night temperatures will go above fifty degrees. Happy days are on their way, just not here yet.

JanRN, I have my order from Soft Expressions, and its more than I thought it would be; love the foundation piecing of the Texas Star. And the shortcuts from Carla was great! Cannot wait to try them all! Painless five point stars, half triangles, and flying geese....five different approaches that simplifies the patterns.

Need to help Dh tomorrow morning and then I hope to get into the newly arranged QR (still not finished) while he moves some of the truck load of lime with his new lime spreader. He has now used up the most of our refund from taxes, so I will manage on the reminder and smile. And look at all the projects I have planned., petting the new fabric. Its a happy house when you can keep your dh happy.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 PM

QNS--I wanted to let you know your gift arrived today...that was very thoughtful! Thank you!!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:13 PM

Thanks Carrie. That will let the others know, 'Its coming around the mountain, she will be coming around the mountain" soon.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Jan, we have the snow here already. About 5" and still snowing.

sewbizgirl, I haven't seen Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler book, but she certainly has added a lot of wonderful ideas to the quilt world. I think the next FW book is planned to be based on the Bible, but I don't know if Civil War fabric prints will be used or not. I like the French General style fabric. I've never specifically bought or used either styles. I didn't realize I liked them until I researched what they were. :-p :-) ...I didn't even know what Kansas Troubles fabrics were until someone here explained it. And, what's funny about that is, I was actually making a BOM quilt with them at the time! lol

Last edited by givio; 04-08-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:47 PM

Nina, Thank You so much for the "goody bag".. Great looking photo of the couple you sent. Of course I knew it was You & DH.. pretty fat 1/4's, thanks.

I am very tired..I worked all day today 9.5 hours and worked this past Wed & Thurs...Tomorrow is a short 5 hour day then all day Monday..

I'm having a glass of Angry Orchard Hard Cider then play some games then off to bed for me.. G'nite, H.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM

Busy day. We hung some curtains & hung a mirror on the wall. That doesn't sound like a lot but they both took forever! We hit one roadblock after another. It was way past lunch time when we finally finished those. After lunch I acedently set the older of my dogs out. She's is easy to catch most of the time. You just get the truck & drive it to her. By the time DH got down the drive way she was asking to get in the truck. The problem for her is that she has arthritis & just has to have help to get into the truck. I had taken the leash out to her so instead of getting her in the truck I just took her for a walk. That made her so happy. LOL We want her to keep coming back so we try to reward her for coming back. The other dog was heart broken. So next I took her for a walk. Then DH & the dogs took a nap so I got out a bunch of FQ's that I had washed & started pressing & cutting 'em. I had to stop for supper but did a few more after that. Now I am ready for bed. LOL
Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Dublb, it must feel good to be one step closer to the end of the move.

Mother can be made with no Y seams. Really. and even easily than I did, I think. The way I did it was to eliminate four "H" pieces...[ATTACH=CONFIG]547511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547513[/ATTACH] Stop at the seam allowance intersection, so the gusset piece can fit in there...[ATTACH=CONFIG]547514[/ATTACH] Giving you a straight seam on the center piece, no Y seam.[ATTACH=CONFIG]547515[/ATTACH] Looking at the results, I wonder if the strip can be extended and not have a corner insert piece at all. You do still need the four small H pieces to make the 'arrow' straight on the end. Good luck with Mother. Mrs. Anderson is a doll, I could make a whole quilt of her block!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0430.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	547511   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0431-001.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	547512   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0434.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	547513   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0436.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	547514   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0429.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	547515  

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

A Bible theme would be cool. I know there are some old blocks with Bible names to them.

I have just started getting into Civil War prints, and would love to know the story behind the name "Kansas Troubles". In the birthday swap, someone just sent me an entire set of Kansas Troubles mini charm squares.

This is the Civil War book I was referring to. Sounds a lot like the FW books, with stories to go with the blocks:
http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Barba...5662?ad=PFBING
Old 04-12-2016, 04:26 AM

One good thing about having nasty weather this week-end is that I finished hand sewing the binding on my mini Pineapple wall hanging. Measures about 22 x 22. [ATTACH=CONFIG]547627[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pineapple.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	586.4 KB
ID:	547627