Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff? >

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by NanaMontana View Post
Thanks so much for your input. It really helps to get information from other quilters and from people who are not involved in the sale of a machine. Buying a new machine is a big purchase so I'm trying to make an informed decision with an open mind. Keep those posts coming. Still wondering about the top loading bobbin. Good? Bad?
I like the top loading bobbin. (I particularly like how the bobbin only fits one way, so I never put it in backwards.) It is probably a personal thing though. Spend some time with the machine and see how it feels to you....

Dina
Old 04-13-2016, 04:07 AM

Posts like this one always amaze me. This is a question only you can decide. You are looking at two top quality machines. It would be a no brainier if you were not looking at machines of the same caliber. Which machine bests fits your needs? Which machine can you afford to buy? Can you get help from a local dealer for both machines? Have you tried out both machines? Which one do you keep going back to? From your post, you seem to prefer the Pfaff. When you ask a question like this you will always find people who prefer one of your choices or the other; then you are going to get those who throw another brand into the mix. So, again, this is a question only you can answer.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 AM

Have you considered a low mileage used pfaff
Judy fry
Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 AM

I also was between a bernina and a pfaff a while back. I made my own comparison list of the features I wanted AND deal breakers. I went with a pfaff QE 3.0, at the time, because of the IDT system; I never looked back. I couldn't stand constantly putting on and taking off the walking foot to switch between my projects so pfaff was the machine for me.

Being a quilter amongst other sewing ventures, I will not settle for a machine that costs a fortune WITHOUT the features I want. I would have paid for the bernina... but not for a machine that does NOT have the features I want AND what they wanted me to pay..for a machine that didn't do what I wanted! (lol!!!)

No matter if its a pfaff, janome, bernina, singer, babylock or any other "name", its not going to be enjoyable to sew on a machine that doesn't do what you want it to do. I'm under the pfaff banner right now because my machine does exactly what I want it to do. If I ever need a new machine, if it does what I want it to do, that's the machine (name or no name) for me.

I've been spoiled by Pfaff because of the IDT system and and other outstanding features that I wanted, all in one machine. It all really boils down to the features YOU want. Look for YOUR must haves, deal breakers AND close to deal breakers and you will have a machine you love.

About the bobbins, its super quick and easy to drop and snap the bobbin in seconds in BUT, the draw back is, in order to change bobbins, you have to remove the project to get to the bobbin area. It is not issue for me but it may bother others.

If you are not sure about some of the features the different brands have just ask.. between all of us on this board, I'm guessing we have just about every machine ever made. Have fun choosing a new machine and please show us your new baby when you get it.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM

Look at the Jamome 6600, 8900, and the Skyline7. The Skyline7 does have the 11.5 inch throat like the 8900, but you don't need the extra throat space since you have a longarm. The SKYLINE 7 does have the auto foot lift, and the memory stich for piecing...you just set the memory of the distance of the pieced fabrics, and the machine sews the exact length for the next set. Go to your Janome dealer and gry them out.....also go to the Janome website and do a comparison of the 6600, 8900, and skyline7.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 AM

I have purchased 3 Brothers machines and absolutely love them. Before you spend money on either Bernina or Phaff, please go to your Brothers dealer and try one out. I use them to piece and to quilt. I work part time at a Brothers location and see many of the other brands come in with major issues and they are almost new machines. Please try the Brothers before you make a decision .
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM

I would go and test 3 or 4 brands that you think you might like. With your budget in mind, test whatever machines they offer in your price range with the features that you want. I did that before buying my first Bernina. I took the swatches home and sat on my back porch and looked at them. I finally decided on the Bernina because I like the pretty straight stitch. I'm on my second Bernina now and have been very happy with both of mine.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. You might find that a machine you didn't think you'd like is the one the fits.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 AM

I always vote Bernina!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 PM

I always been happy with my Berninas. I have a 550 and 182.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:41 PM

BTW, I've had a Bernina 1630 and a 180. Love them both!