Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff? >

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Vat

I owned Pfaff's for over 20 years and loved them. Got really good service out of all of them, even the sergers.
When I bought new I bought a Janome Horizon and I really do like it. It is really heavy duty. Doesn't jump around on the sewing table when sewing a full speed.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM

Let me start out by saying that I own a Bernina 750QE. When I asked about a light-weight machine to haul to classes at a Bernina store in a different state (she knew that I would not be buying a machine there), I was told that Bernina warranties their parts for 25 years. Then told that Babylock was the next maker down the list (10 years), then Viking (9 years). I am very happy with my Bernina---probably will never use all of the bells and whistles that come with my machine. I also have an older model Bernina that has NEVER given me a bit of trouble.
You know where my vote lies---
Old 04-13-2016, 04:41 PM

I vote for a Pfaff. i have the creative 5 and I love it. It has all the bells and whistles you could ever want and sews like a dream
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 PM

I would upgrade your Bernina model purchase to include the dual feed system. I have a Bernina 880 and am really pleased with that feature. The 880 ( don't know know about other models.) comes with very wide feed dog system. They created the 97D foot that allows the walking foot to engage, the right side of it is an exact 1/4" , the left side of the foot is wider so that full contact is made with the feed dogs at all times. It was an expensive foot but one I would highly recommend. The dual feed systems are helpful all through the quilting process. Especially when attaching binding. A store that provides great service and repairs and support can be more important than the brand of the machine. I traded in a 1 yr old top of the line machine from a major company I'd purchased from for years because I didn't get the support and service work I deserved.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:01 AM

Only you can make the decision=--try out both machines and decide what you like.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 AM

Both are good machines. You will have to decide which features you can't live without within your price range. I'm a Pfaff girl for sewing and quilting, if you are also looking at embroidery then do look at Brother.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:26 PM

Today I went to the Janome/Brother dealer and test drove a 3160QDC . I did bring my own piece to sew onto and tried out the free motion foot for applique top-stitching. I was really impressed with how it sewed and the value. The only downside for me was the need to unscrew the stitch plate to access underneath the bobbin area for cleaning. The whole top loading bobbin system seemed to work so well though, maybe I wouldn't need to clean as often as I am used to with my old Pfaff 2030 triptonic . So, although going into this I thought my choice would be Pfaff or Bernina, right now I like the Janome for my needs and budget. I did not try the Janome Skyline series but maybe I should take a look at that too. My journey continues...
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 AM

I have recently bought a Bernina 580. I would not buy this machine or any of the 500, 700, or 800 series again. Way too finicky and complicated. However I have 3 other Berninas that I love, especially the 1090. If you are just mainly doing quilting, I'd buy one that has the biggest harp.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Do you have local dealer for both? I would choose the one I have local service for. Test drive both, decide which you like better. Take advantage of the free owners classes offered by the dealer. Buying a new machine is like buying a new car. Test drive & choose what You like best.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:58 PM

I am a Pfaff girl all the way!! I will never give up the duel feed. I am so sold on the brand. I have had a Pfaff for over 20 years.