Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches >

Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches

Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches

Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 AM

I would try a mustache trimmer. They work great for removing a long line of stitches.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by gram2five View Post
Hope someone on here will have some suggestions for removing teeny tiny, itty bitty stitches. I was going along just fine stitching in the ditch with my walking foot on my grandson's quilt. Got to the end, flipped it around and started sewing the other way. I was about halfway done before I noticed that the previous seam looked all puckered. Long story short, something happened that made the stitches tiny, tiny. Have tried using my seam ripper, but can't really even get the point under them and feel like I am causing damage to the fabric. Got out my magnifier and ried using a straight pin, no luck. Oh, and the really difficult part - it's black thread on black fabric .

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
I would use an eyebrow shaper which I get at Walgreens. Use it between the batting and the backing.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 AM

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and your good wishes. I am working on it a bit at a time and making progress. This board is the best!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM

I don't know what kind of machine you have but with mine I often change the stitch length by bumping it with the quilt when I move it around. I've gotten into the habit of visually checking it to make sure I didn't make teeny tiny stitches. It's been known to happen.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I use my 28mm and do this also. It's quick for me. If afraid of the rotary, you could use the eye of a needle to lift then use the ripper
Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I use the tiny rotary cutter to take out tiny stitches and big ones too. Once I can get to where the layers can be separated a bit and I can see the stitches holding the layers together, I pull up the top layer and start cutting with the rotary cutter little by little while continuing to pull up on the top layer and holding down the bottom one. Does that make any sense whatsoever? I have become a master at this technique .... which is a sad statement about my sewing/quilting. Good luck and take your time.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM

I use a razor blade. I pull the seam appart so that I can see the tiny thread. Then I just use the tip fo the razor blade to cut the thread. Go slow. I helps if you have magnifying glasses. Otherwise, I just do it in the best light that I can find.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:37 AM

KLO I use a rotary cutter, the small one would be better but there are some rules to this deal. First, do not let anyone sitting next or in front of you with in a foot or so. No chatting as you are doing this. As you must know the dull blade can be more of a damage than the sharp ones but either way, one needs to be super careful. Then, you get to pull out the stitches one by one but by then, you are ready to sew again. When in our group, I will say don't do this as I am doing but I still do.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Black on black, the worst !! Sorry for your problem but do like the others have suggested & separate the layers so at least you can get started & you should be good to go. Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donna in Bellevue View Post
I don't know what kind of machine you have but with mine I often change the stitch length by bumping it with the quilt when I move it around. I've gotten into the habit of visually checking it to make sure I didn't make teeny tiny stitches. It's been known to happen.
This is what happened! Will take note and check settings.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM

I use a rotary cutter. It's the fastest way to do it. I haven't ever cut the fabric. I have cut the fabric using the electric trimmer.