Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm starting to despise leftovers >

I'm starting to despise leftovers

I'm starting to despise leftovers

Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 AM

String quilts (look at Bonnie Hunter's website) It is mindless sewing but I have music or the TV on and just sew. My sister and I make pillows for the local shelters (fondly referred to as Dog pillows) and put scraps and cuttings of batting in the pillows. Since we are part of a nonprofit that makes quilts, other members are now saving their scraps and batting for the pillows. I' sure that we have filled over 100 pillows and the stuffing does not go into the landfill.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

These are gorgeous.
Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
By all means, give them to someone who will use with, without guilt.

I've finished these within the last few months out of 2" strips: I just had too many, and they never went down/away, so I devoted last fall to making tops and have been quilting them gradually over the winter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547775[/ATTACH]
Old 04-14-2016, 05:37 PM

I love leftovers! Several ladies in my quilting bee give me their scraps & I've always got at least 1 going. I do Bonnie Hunters idea of leaders & enders. Before you know it you have bunches sewn together & then on to the next step.
Joyce T
Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

love all those scrappy quilts. such love was put into these quilts from scraps of others.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I'm notorious for buying fabric without a pattern in mind. Fabric comes first for me. But the leftovers are driving me crazy! I have small pieces; and yardage that is too much to cut into scraps. By the time I'm done with a quilt I don't want to think about trying to make something with the remainders. I just can't seem to come up with a good solution. Ideas?
I love, love scraps. I think it all started when I was a young girl, my mom gave me scraps and I would make them into doll clothes. Bodice would be one fabric, skirt another fabric and sleeves another one. Guess that is how I came to love scrappy. I am working on two scrappy quilts now, one from squares and rectangles, the other one from 2.5 inch squares. I enjoy working with scraps more than yardage. I think it is the gratification I get from making something beautiful from scraps that most other people toss.

I do agree with the other comments, if you don't enjoy using them, give to someone who will.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
By all means, give them to someone who will use with, without guilt.

I've finished these within the last few months out of 2" strips: I just had too many, and they never went down/away, so I devoted last fall to making tops and have been quilting them gradually over the winter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547775[/ATTACH]
I love all your scrappy quilts, my favorite being the heart and home one. I have also made several quilts from squares but don't have any means to take pictures.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
I just dropped a large box of scraps off at the Linus group yesterday. Or I sometimes put a notice out on a "Freecycle" group I belong to.
I met a lady on a freecycle group and I was her husbands new best friend without ever meeting! When I do an overhaul she is who I contact. She quilts with some ladies from her church and they will welcome my scraps, orphan blocks and many times yardage.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by quilt9226 View Post
String quilts (look at Bonnie Hunter's website) It is mindless sewing but I have music or the TV on and just sew. My sister and I make pillows for the local shelters (fondly referred to as Dog pillows) and put scraps and cuttings of batting in the pillows. Since we are part of a nonprofit that makes quilts, other members are now saving their scraps and batting for the pillows. I' sure that we have filled over 100 pillows and the stuffing does not go into the landfill.
I love this pet bed idea...even if it's just for my own pets. (Our local shelter only wants towels, not beds.) Last year, I even bought some kitty fabric for my future cat beds, but I haven't used it yet. I'm still thinking up a good design, as the scraps pile up.

Personally, I think scraps are good. I always go to my scrap basket before I raid my larger stash, or buy fabric. I feel so self-reliant and resourceful doing things this way. It always amazes me how far just one, little FQ can go. It's one of the main reasons that I started quilting to begin with.

But, if that's not your thing, then do give them to someone who will make good things with them. At the very least, take them to the local thrift store.

~ C
Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 AM

Tessagin...I LOVE all of your scrappy quilts...very inspiring.

~ Cindy
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM

I keep the ones I like a lot so when I need to come up with a unexpected gift I can whip up a table runner or place mats.