Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Fabric Storage Dilemma >

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Fabric Storage Dilemma

Old 04-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Auj

Default Fabric Storage Dilemma

I continually think about storage and what the best way would be. I have had my stash (at first when I didn't have too much) in plastic tubs and some is still there, but currently most of it (90%) is folded flat on shelving with doors to keep everything looking neat when the doors are closed! I organize it a couple of times a year, but when I need some fabric, I just pull it out and am usually in a hurry, so pile it back in on top of any stack where there is room. I sort my fabric into main colors, a stack of purples, one of blues, one of yellows/oranges, etc. I have a stack for florals, for holiday, for novelty, etc. I have a section for flannels, for wools, etc. You can see my problem. I'll pull some florals, tone on tones, whites or creams to make a project, but putting it away?! That is the problem. Any ideas for me? Is there 'One Best Way'?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Every quilter has a different way of storing their stash. I am also BAD at putting my fabric back and I have drawers. The fun part is the creating pulling the fabric out but putting fabric away is NOT fun, at least that is the way I feel.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Me, too! I guess I didn't get the 'put stuff back' gene. Aw, heck, I am completely missing the 'neat and tidy' genes!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 AM

I've tried many ways to store them. Right now my favorite is the plastic tote method. No matter how they are stored, everything gets in disorder when working on the project. Seems like the one I want is on the bottom of the bin.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:37 AM

I used the plastic tote, placed the tote on a short side and stacked fabric like on a shelf. I took a photo and taped it to the side of the tote and stacked in closet. At a glance I could see which tote to grab. Worked well for me until my stash got too big, now I have a dedicated closet, plan on adding two more shelves, so the fabrics are not so high, when I want a piece of fabric it slides out easily when slipping ruler under fabric I want, and slide it out, can be returned same way.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM

I don't know if this might help but I have a few of those Martha Stewart fabric totes and I labeled them "Current Project"and "Future Projects". That way, when I'm rummaging through my fabric, I can set aside those other appealing pieces. Putting fabric away? A habit I need to get better at,as well.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 PM

For me putting my fabric on comic book boards on shelves works best. It's like mini bolts of fabric and makes it really easy to see what I have, pull the one I want out and put it back.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:34 PM

I keep waiting for the Fabric Fairy to visit at night but so far she has failed to appear. My fabric is wrapped around comic book boards and then stored in plastic bins. (The kind of bins that are used for file storage.) Right now I need more boards and another bin - so there is a stack that needs attention and I am afraid I have not been very attentive to it. But that is because I am in the middle of one quilt and designing the next one.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:18 AM

I'm doing that as well. Kind of amazing to know how many "boards" I've used. Need to get sewing.

It's eas to figure out what to do with the yardage. Does anyone have good ideas of how to store the smaller pieces - scraps, fat quarters, et?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 AM

I had closets with doors and shelves built along two walls to store my fabric. I use comic book boards, and clear plastic tubs of all sizes. The less used (flannel and holiday) goes on CB boards, then in tubs which get labels. For "projects in progress" they go into clear shoe boxes or sweater boxes, with fabric, template and pattern-and get labels. Others are in jumbo zip-lock bags that go in a deep tub under my sewing machine. Those are only in need of sashing or borders. I also have a deep tub there for scraps and strings. Fat quarters have shoe box homes. Thing too large for comic book boards go on quilt shop boards on the top shelf. Tops ready to sandwich go in "under bed storage boxes" which are under my sandwiching table. I'm still moving fabric from the quilt shop boards to comic boards to condense it. Thus I was able to add two additional shelves yesterday and will add two more today. Hopefully, then I can get the rest sorted and put away properly. I'm a real "clutterer," so I have to stay organized! Hope to finish and get pix before too much longer!
I forgot to mention ... for pieces like just a yard or so, I use an old rotary cutter to cut the comic book boards in half to 4 1/4 x 11 (saves space & money.) Another tip is I buy bobby pins at the dollar store to hold the end of the fabric to the boards.

Last edited by Just Jan; 04-17-2016 at 04:03 AM.