Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Quilting Board's First Scrap Club >

Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Old 04-18-2016, 12:40 PM

I have now read allf the previous pages, wow, so much good information....... thanks everyone!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 AM

excellent catch up jacie.

I got the first block of the spanish bond raggedy brick quilt put together. It's nice to finally be making progress on that one.

The my grandma's flower garden isn't really a scrappy quilt in my opinion. That may have something to do with the 60 dollars I've spent on fabric so far. Is the backing of this type of quilt more hexagons or is it solid?
Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
Are you SURE about the puzzle you posted? I can find lots of the words - but Babylock is giving me some trouble ( actually all of the "B" words but I'm giving up). There is only one "Y" in the puzzle and I am not finding the work I am looking for! A scrap lover's thread will be a wonderful addition. Thanks Rhonda!
I found babylock within 30 seconds. There are at least 3 " y's". Look again.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 AM

I am also working with hexagons.I think that the backing is solid. I haven't sewed the hexies together yet, I just keep sewing the individual hexies. I have been working off and on for years, have put together flowers and keep changing my mind about the pattern. Mine are with 30's fabric and I am using scraps or what I have on hand in yardage.
What fabric are you using and do you have a photo?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM

I wobble so my pictures don't turn out well. Once it is finished a picture is taken at the quilt club and I copy it and post it here.

I am using an english paper piecing method and loving it. But it does stop me from doing all the flowers first.

I am using the richest colors I can find. Colors that are saturated. Some metallics, some tropical. I have found that it only takes me about an evening to do one flower or half of the pathway around a flower. My hexies are 1 1/4" across larger than the older ones. So for a 48 x 48 lap quilt I'm expecting to do about 36 flowers. its 432 hexies I believe. That is doing a single round of petals and a single hexie pathway.

Are you going to do the hand applique or embroidered border around yours? I've been looking at them they are beautiful.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 AM

I have not seen either the applique or embroidered border! Right now I am working on a sewing kit using 3/4th inch hexagons. I keep being interrupted though plus I see something else I want to make. It also takes me an evening to make one flower. I am using 1" hexies for the flowers. I made a mug rug with a flower using 1/2" hexies. I am also using the english paper piecing method.
I have seen pictures of the hexies using rich colors and they are beautiful. I think the size you are making is great. I am not sewing paths on mine, just sewing them next to each other.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:19 PM

the google gallery of grandma's flower garden quilts has pictures of the ones with the borders. I'm intrigued by the idea of making little tiny hexies. I may try that with a true scrappy in the future. It must look very different without the "pathway."
Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Here's a little hexie quilt I made...it's such a happy little quilt....
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM

Love your scrap quilt...........
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Here's a little hexie quilt I made...it's such a happy little quilt....
Awww, that is what I am working on! Only, I started with grandma's flower garden in mind. I was just making the flowers with yellow centers intending to use the path (white) but changed my mind when I saw a quilt something like yours. So now I am continuing making the flowers with yellow centers and sewing them together like you have yours above.
What size hexie did you use with this quilt?